From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2014-08-12
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2014 07:37:25
1 Hello,
2
3 On Wed, 30 Jul 2014 15:48:53 +0200 Alexander Berntsen wrote:
4 > On 30/07/14 13:44, Andrew Savchenko wrote:
5 > > Please carefully consider this matter. Having a dedicated group is
6 > > quite convenient to limit users from using games on workstations
7 > > and is also handy as a parental control feature. Of course, a
8 > > dedicated group is not an ultimate solution and can be evaded by
9 > > technically skilled users, but it nevertheless helps.
10 > If you need to limit users from using games on a workstation, something
11 > is wrong somewhere else. As for parental control -- it makes no sense.
12 > They can install games locally for their own user,
13
14 On noexec partinion for /home and user temp dirs it will be not
15 possible to run them.
16
17 > and they can still
18 > look at whatever you don't want them to look at using the WWW; and they
19 > can also watch films you do not want them to watch, listen to music you
20 > object to, or read books you disagree with.
21 >
22 > Restricting access to games, or indeed films, music, books or other
23 > things, is not a problem I think we should be concerned about. It's
24 > much too difficult to get right, and in my opinion completely
25 > pointless and stupid. If you want to censor your children's access to
26 > creative outlets -- do it yourself on your own computer, instead of
27 > tasking us with the job. We are not nannies.
28
29 It looks like my reasoning wrong was misunderstood a bit. ATM I'm
30 not personally interested in these features, but I find them useful
31 in some practical use cases. And looks like I'm not alone here,
32 because these features were introduced long time ago and for a
33 reason. I just want to point out that current games policy have not
34 only cons, but also pros. And code to support this policy is
35 already here (while it may be buggy, portage itself is quite buggy).
36 And please do not refer to "other distros", because Gentoo is very
37 different by its nature from majority of distros.
38
39 Best regards,
40 Andrew Savchenko