From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: "Justin (jlec)" <jlec@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Recruitment issues and potential improvement
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2015 13:03:31
1 Dnia 2015-02-05, o godz. 09:28:38
2 "Justin (jlec)" <jlec@g.o> napisał(a):
3
4 > On 05/02/15 07:56, Michał Górny wrote:
5 > > Hello, everyone.
6 > >
7 > > It's finally time to discuss some of the recruitment issues. It's not
8 > > a new complaint that the process is time-consuming and discouraging to
9 > > our contributors. We have a pretty low number of new recruits [well,
10 > > we could definitely have a higher number!] and too often they resign
11 > > in the process.
12 > >
13 > > As I see it, the main issue are ebuild quizzes. They are very time-
14 > > consuming and discouraging. It's like filling a quiz with relatively
15 > > simple questions where answers need to fit a key, and you have to tell
16 > > the recruit to fill in the missing bits a few times just to help him
17 > > get further.
18 > >
19 > > I myself attempted ebuild quiz twice, because the first time I simply
20 > > ended up not having the time for it. My late recruit was making slow
21 > > progress, and recently vanished -- hopefully only because he doesn't
22 > > have will for that anymore. As I see it, the disadvantages outweigh
23 > > the benefits here.
24 > >
25 > > I have discussed this with kensington and a few Council members
26 > > (unofficially), and we came up with following ideas:
29 > Hi,
30 >
31 > just as a general remark, from my own experience I know that it is very hard to
32 > judge recruitment if you have never recruited someone. So please be careful with
33 > assumptions about the good and bads of the current process. (You should also
34 > discuss with recruiters and not only with the council.)
35
36 Yes, maybe I'm wrong and recruiting in Gentoo is doing just fine. We
37 are getting many new developers who can help the project get running.
38 There's no mgorny who has to be member of so many teams he can't even
39 recall all of them, and help a few others to get things running.
40 Developers handle trivial bugs with reasonable period of less than
41 a year and we are all living in a dreamland. And yes, there's no risk
42 of burnout due to being overworked.
43
44 But on the other hand, there's always someone when we need a bikeshed.
45
46 I would maybe reply to the rest of the mail but it's not worth my
47 effort. I'll better use the time to work for other 5 devs who won't be
48 recruited because they don't have time/will to go through the sieve.
51 Best regards,
52 Michał Górny