From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wltjr@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: [gentoo-dev] Special meeting [WAS: Council meeting summary for 8 May 2008]
Date: Sun, 18 May 2008 16:24:25
1 On Sun, 2008-05-18 at 16:11 +0000, Ferris McCormick wrote:
2 >
3 > So, either people don't care about policies for Council (which does not
4 > seem to be the case)
5
6 Not sure about that. There are currently how many Gentoo Developers?
7 What percentage is commenting here?
8
9 I never read the GLEP till this came up. I suspect most others are in
10 the same boat. It's not like part of our recruitment process requires
11 people to read all GLEPs. So it should not be assumed people read or
12 care about them :)
15 > or no one has ever seen any problems in the policy
16 > requiring changes. This makes it a bit puzzling why it's a big deal
17 > when something comes up which activates a clause in the policy (when
18 > the requirement affects Council itself. After all, this entire policy
19 > tells us the rules for how Council works. That's what it's about.)
20
21 That's the nature of open source. No one cares till you do. Things are
22 ignored till one cares about it. Then everyone else has opinions. Thus
23 this never came up before, so no one cared. Now that it has, a very
24 small fraction cares. A vast majority is....
27 William L. Thomson Jr.
28 amd64/Java/Trustees
29 Gentoo Foundation