From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Proposal for Council: Prohibit Harassment & Discrimination via the CoC
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2015 15:01:20
1 On Sun, Apr 26, 2015 at 8:55 AM, Ciaran McCreesh
2 <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Sun, 26 Apr 2015 00:47:46 +0000
4 > "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o> wrote:
5 >> Gentoo should ALSO care if it comes to light that individuals with
6 >> past history of incidents are participating in the community. Eg:
7 >> [1b]
8 >> [1b] http://crystalbeasley.com/2015/02/04/I-stand-against-kveton/
9 >
10 > In some jurisdictions that comment could be considered libellous,
11 > due to the lack of court conviction... If you were served with a
12 > libel lawsuit in, say, the UK over that comment, would you be expected
13 > to cease participating in Gentoo?
16 Setting the issue itself aside, this is why I hate the
17 tort-is-an-answer-to-everything approach that seems to rule these days
18 (especially among many libertarian folks that I often agree with
19 otherwise). You end up with orgs who can't decide whether they should
20 burn people at the stake so that they aren't sued in one jurisdiction,
21 or whether they should ignore potential offenders so that they aren't
22 sued in some other jurisdiction.
23
24 It is one big passive-aggressive culture war where rather than sit
25 down and try to talk about issues and treat each other as human
26 beings, we instead demonize anybody who disagrees with our point of
27 view. We turn people into nothing more than votes on issues upon
28 which we stake everything. I've seen people on all sides of just
29 about any issue making horrible personal attacks on advocates of
30 opposing views.
31
32 Once upon a time we put offenders up in stocks mainly so that
33 everybody could take notice of who they were, and ensure that they
34 could never again live normally in society. At some point people
35 figured out that it wasn't a great idea. However, the contradiction
36 between free expression and avoidance of public shaming depended on
37 technological limitations with the publication of information, and
38 those have been circumvented.
39
40 Now anybody can put anybody else in the stocks, and we all succeed or
41 suffer based on how responsibly everybody else treats the information
42 made available to them.
45 Rich