From: "M. J. Everitt" <m.j.everitt@×××.org>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] The problem of defunct and undermanned projects in Gentoo
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2017 18:48:25
1 On 19/07/17 19:22, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Wed, Jul 19, 2017 at 1:34 PM, Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o> wrote:
3 >> OK, so here's the flipside of this. I'm a member of a few projects
4 >> because I help take care of just a couple of things or maybe even just
5 >> a gentoo-carried patch. Being a project member is necessary as I do
6 >> want to have the commit rights on the project, but I'm -not- nor ever
7 >> meant to be a general project member or overall maintainer or dev.
8 >>
9 > You left out another use case - wanting to follow mail on the project
10 > alias. I could see cases where somebody isn't interest in a project
11 > in general but works on something related and benefits from seeing the
12 > emails to the alias.
13 >
14 I would argue that's a better use for a mailing list than an alias then
15 .. or at least some kind of 'observer' status in a project ..
16 I'm not sure from my observations that being on a team alias requires
17 you to be a project member ..
18
19 I'm really not sure what the benefits of a closed alias are, apart from
20 keeping communications internal, which may be equally well-served being
21 in the public domain .. unless of course it really is confined to "hi,
22 I'm tackling bug 12345 this week, thanks,bye" type communications ...
23 What barriers are there for transferring some key projects to having
24 their own mailing lists?