From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>, comrel <comrel@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] rfc: comrel changes
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2020 20:13:13
1 On Mon, Feb 17, 2020 at 8:18 AM William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > All,
4 >
5 > I realize that comrel is a thankless job, but it is an important one
6 > that helps preserve the health of the community.
7 >
8 > To facilitate this, I think we need to have some changes in the way comrel
9 > operates, so I would like to propose them here to see what other folks
10 > think.
11 >
12 > Since comrel is a special TLP like QA, I think the comrel lead, like
13 > the qa lead, should be confirmed by the council.
14 >
15 > When an issue is filed with comrel, the issue should be addressed
16 > within a reasonable time frame. As someone who has filed issues, I have
17 > seen them sit for months with no action taken.
18 > With all respect to comrel, this is unacceptable. You have a published
19 > policy for how you will process issues, so follow it. If you don't, it
20 > is very upsetting for users/developers who reach out to you for
21 > assistance, weakens your credibility, and by extension negatively affects
22 > the
23 > reputation of the entire Gentoo community.
24 >
25 > To promote more transparency with comrel, I would like to
26 > require the comrel lead to send a report to the gentoo-project list monthly
27 > containing these statistics for the previous month:
28 >
29 > - number of bugs received
30 > - number of bugs pending (this is for bugs that are currently in process)
31 > - number of bugs resolved by actions (such as talking to
32 > developers or disciplinary action)
33 > - number of bugs closed without action
34 >
35 > - number of mediation requests received
36 > - number of mediation requests resolved
37 > - number of mediation requests escalated to bugs
38 > - number of mediation requests dismissed without action
39 >
40 > The comrel lead should be replaced if this report is not sent for three
41 > consecutive months.
42 >
43 > What do others think?
46 I'm a little bit concerned that this addresses the symptoms instead of the
47 problem. Have you shared your concerns with comrel regarding their lack of
48 timely communication on reported issues? Do they even share the same goals
49 you enumerated?
50
51 My strawperson argument is that:
52 - (0) The council will elect some lead.
53 - The lead will never write reports (or write them but stop.)
54 - The lead will get removed per policy.
55 - Council will elect a new lead.
56 - GOTO 0
57
58 This isn't to say I dislike the concept of publishing transparency report
59 (I do like it) but I'm not sure a report completely solves the problems
60 that comrel actually faces today and I'd be interested to learn more about
61
62 -A
66 > Thanks,
67 >