From: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Council discuss: overlapping council terms of two years
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2011 16:33:22
1 On 08/05/11 15:54, Markos Chandras wrote:
3 > Hash: SHA512
4 >
5 > On 08/05/2011 02:44 PM, Fabian Groffen wrote:
6 >> On 05-08-2011 14:17:29 +0100, Markos Chandras wrote:
7 >>> I am still not convinced that a committee of 7 people is flexible
8 >>> enough to push radical changes.
9 >>
10 >> Perhaps I misunderstand you here, but I don't think making radical
11 >> changes is good, that's what 7 people balance out. Radical changes
12 >> have been made to important parts of Gentoo like e.g. Python, and
13 >> this didn't really result in a major improvement, IMO.
14 >
15 > My point is how fast and how flexible can a committee like this decide
16 > on global project issues
17
18 If you have a good idea and carry it forward you can expect it to be
19 ratified within the next council meeting - so with deadlines for
20 discussion items etc. about 6 weeks turnaround time in the worst case.
21
22 But... for that YOU have to move things forward. Demanding that council
23 makes other people do things is not how Gentoo works. So if you think
24 slacking arches are a problem ... aquire a Mips or Sparc or whatever
25 machine and get cracking.
26
27 > Right nobody came with a proper solution yet the problems still exists.
28 > The same problem will probably pop up again in the future, recycling the
29 > previous discussion and go back to sleep again. Someone has to decide
30 > and vote for the least worst solution before the problem goes back to
31 > hibernation, otherwise you are back to square 0. This is no progress
32
33 Actionism won't help. If you don't even have a solution either the
34 problem is well defined, very hard to solve or not the right problem to
35 fix (see the whole "let's find a problem so that systemd is a solution"
36 insanity that just won't walk away and leave us alone)
37
38 And again, if you don't want it to go to sleep work on it, find others
39 that want to work on it, radiate on relevant communication channels
40 (blog, mailing lists, ...) that you work on it.
41 Don't expect others to do things for you.
42
43 I'm quite happy with the current state, there's lots of users helping
44 with issues if you ask, there's usually a few devs that give at least
45 moral support, and things move as fast as I can keep them moving. What's
46 the problem with that? :)
47
48 Take care,
49