From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Agenda for Council Meeting on 08 November
Date: Sat, 07 Nov 2015 08:39:00
1 >>>>> On Sun, 1 Nov 2015, Kristian Fiskerstrand wrote:
2
3 > 2) EAPI 6 approval [0]
4
5 It turns out that the specification of "Profile package* and use* can
6 be directories" [1] is incorrect. I therefore request a separate vote
7 on this feature, and I propose that we leave it out of EAPI 6.
8
9 Rationale:
10 As pointed out by David Leverton [2], Portage has implemented
11 recursion into subdirectories and also keeps a list of filename
12 exceptions that it will ignore. Following that, there was an attempt
13 of a last-minute fix for the spec's wording [3].
14
15 However, there are more problems. Portage implements the feature not
16 only for files in a profile, but also for the profiles/ directory.
17 Quoting the portage(5) man page:
18
19 Any file in this directory [namely, /etc/portage/make.profile/],
20 directories of other profiles or top-level "profiles" directory
21 that begins with "package." or "use." can be more than just a flat
22 file. If it is a directory, then all the files in that directory
23 will be sorted in ascending alphabetical order by file name and
24 summed together as if it were a single file. Note that this
25 behavior is only supported since portage-2.1.6.7, and it is not
26 included in PMS at this time.
27
28 Example:
29 ${repository_location}/profiles/package.mask/removals
30 ${repository_location}/profiles/package.mask/testing
31
32 At least one overlay [4] makes use of this for profiles/package.mask.
33 Also, according to portage(5), directories for use.desc and
34 use.local.desc would be supported, but these are also not mentioned in
35 the spec. Furthermore, according to the spec the "packages" file can
36 be a directory, but according to portage(5) it cannot.
37
38 In summary, the wording of the spec neither reflects what is
39 implemented in Portage nor what is already used in overlays. More
40 discussion is needed what files in the profiles/ dir are to be
41 supported. However, as the feature was never intended to be used in
42 the gentoo repository, I propose that we drop it for now, and don't
43 delay EAPI 6 because of it.
44
45 Ulrich
48 > [0] https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-project/message/f78e316074897a604842fe13d2860be6