From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] rfc: copyright attribution clarifications
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2018 19:38:38
1 On Wed, Nov 14, 2018 at 01:59:47PM -0500, Ian Stakenvicius wrote:
2 > On 2018-11-14 10:31 a.m., Rich Freeman wrote:
3 > > On Wed, Nov 14, 2018 at 6:36 AM Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o> wrote:
4 > >> IMO the best solution will be to recommend "Gentoo Authors"
5 > >> attribution, but to allow additional copyright lines including the
6 > >> case where "Gentoo Authors" is one of such lines.
7 > >
8 > > IMO doing this will just cause everybody and their uncle to insist on
9 > > putting their names in various places.
12 > I think the impact of allowing multi-line traditional copyright in the
13 > gentoo repo (which is acceptable according to GLEP 76, but not
14 > necessarily according to repo policy right now) is going to be
15 > minimal, to be honest. The vast majority of us I expect will be happy
16 > with "Copyright [years] Gentoo Authors" simplified attribution.
17
18 I personally am fine with this for things I do on my personal time, yes,
19 and I think most of us would be.
20
21 > It's also plenty easy enough to discourage the use of traditional
22 > copyright attribution by requiring a copyright audit be done whenever
23 > something gets converted from simplified to traditional -- that will
24 > be PLENTY enough of a pain to keep it from being performed except when
25 > corporate legal departments require it.
26
27 Well, there really wouldn't be much of an Audit to do if "Gentoo
28 Authors" is allowed in all attribution types as a catch-all.
29
30 # Copyright 1991-2018 Gentoo Authors
31 # Copyright [years] other copyright holder
32 ...
33
34 Everything in the ebuild that other copyright holders don't hold
35 copyright on falls back to Gentoo Authors.
36
37 That would require a glep change, but I will write the patch for the
38 glep myself if we go for it.
39
40 William