From: "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Meeting agenda - Council meeting 2018-04-08
Date: Sat, 07 Apr 2018 19:55:18
1 Am Samstag, 7. April 2018, 21:33:57 CEST schrieb Matt Turner:
2 > On Mon, Apr 2, 2018 at 6:46 PM, Matthias Maier <tamiko@g.o> wrote:
3 > > 8. The council was requested to discuss and vote on the following motion
4 > > [8]>
5 > > "The Gentoo council shall directly contact "Software in the Public
6 > > Interest
7 > > Inc." (SPI), with the intention of Gentoo becoming a SPI Associated
8 > > Project, independent of the Gentoo Foundation."
9 >
10 > The X.Org Foundation joined SPI recently, after failing to file its
11 > taxes and losing its 501(c)(3) status. As far as I can tell everyone
12 > has been pleased with the results, especially not having to deal with
13 > the paperwork.
14 >
15 > But, what the fuck is going on? Perhaps if the Council is interested
16 > in a topic they would spare a few keystrokes to explain the rationale
17 > for such a change. From the perspective of someone who hasn't follow
18 > the Foundation closely, this whole thread looks like a spat between
19 > Council members and the Foundation trustees which is bizarre to say
20 > the least.
21
22 Well, if you ask 5 people you probably get 5 different descriptions...
23
24 As far as I'm concerned, over the last months(?) the foundation trustees have
25 repeatedly tried to expand their area of responsibility into things that have
26 been handled by the council ever since I've been a developer. This is a bit
27 bizarre given the checkered history of foundation leadership and the still
28 unclear (though under repair) tax / finances status (their core competencies).
29
30 Consequently, relations between (some of the) trustees and (some of the)
31 council members have deteriorated to the point where I see the Gentoo
32 Foundation as *sole* asset holder of the Gentoo distribution as a danger to
33 the distribution. [*] [**]
34
35 The easiest way to fix this situation is to find an additional, second
36 financial sponsor *also* handling assets and donations for the Gentoo
37 distribution, which is why I proposed that the Gentoo council contacts SPI.
38
39 This does not take anything away from the Gentoo Foundation - the accounts are
40 to be completely separate, with no transfer of assets between SPI and the
41 Gentoo Foundation. I would sincerely welcome any further efforts from the side
42 of the Gentoo Foundation trustees to complete their bookkeeping, conclude
43 their open business with the IRS, and keep supporting the Gentoo distribution
44 financially.
45
46 [*] in #g-trustees: "<prometheanfire> [...] The trustees don't have to follow
47 or recognise glep 39"
48
49 [**] I've had this proposal in my mind already for some months, but hesitated
50 to post it. However, when Daniel Robbins started playing the trustees against
51 the council again, the situation deteriorated fast.
54 Andreas K. Hüttel
55 dilfridge@g.o
56 Gentoo Linux developer
57 (council, toolchain, perl, libreoffice, comrel)