From: Chris Reffett <creffett@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] pre-GLEP: Gentoo OpenPGP web of trust
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2019 00:55:29
1 On 1/31/2019 7:42 PM, Kristian Fiskerstrand wrote:
2 > On 2/1/19 1:41 AM, Chris Reffett wrote:
3 >> but let me pose a more philosophical
4 >> question: _why should proving my real name matter_?
5 >
6 > It matters in the context of copyright law.
7 >
8 (IANAL, etc., etc.) At least in US copyright law, you may hold copyright
9 under a pseudonym, though it has different rules on the length of the
10 copyright and can cause issues with claiming ownership. Ref:
11 https://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl101.pdf
12
13 That said, though, I'm talking about the GPG key itself here, not my
14 commits, and I think that verification of real identity through WoT is
15 an unreasonably high bar for claiming copyright. As an analogy, I can
16 write a novel, self-publish, and claim copyright (without registering
17 the copyright, mind you - again, working in US law here, where copyright
18 is automatic on publication), and I never had to show ID to anyone - the
19 name on the cover gets the copyright. Why should my commits be any
20 different?
21
22 -creffett