From: Mart Raudsepp <leio@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Gentoo Council nominee 2018/19 questions
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2018 13:13:26
1 Ühel kenal päeval, R, 29.06.2018 kell 08:15, kirjutas Eray Aslan:
2 > Just a few sentences on the questions below would be nice.
3 >
4 > 1/ What do you think of closing gentoo-dev ML to the general public?
5
6 It is not closed to the general public, only limited posting. This is
7 the same as various other mediums have been, except for gentoo-dev this
8 is a change of status quo.
9 If I would have been part of council at the time of the votes, I would
10 have likely voted against closing general public posting, but in
11 practice serving on the council would have meant more pondering and
12 serious thinking of it and I might have reached to the same conclusion
13 of having to do this for the time being, until a better solution
14 emerges.
15 I hope we can try a different solution at some point soon, as the
16 underlying mailing list infrastructure gets upgraded (e.g. to better
17 support different forms of moderation). I don't think we should change
18 the current status quo yet again without a potential different solution
19 to try out for the underlying problem that triggered this change.
20
21 > 2/ Where do you think Gentoo stands in the Linux ecosystem? Who do
22 > you
23 > think are its users?
24
25 It's for the power users that care what and how exactly they have
26 installed, administrators that make that decision for many, or those
27 that want to learn how these things work. Also for people that learned
28 the ways and are now simply using Gentoo as their home distributions,
29 while actually not tweaking or configuring it much at all - only when
30 needed, knowing that power is there. Regarding that, I believe we are
31 sometimes too much forcing users to make a choice on things, failing to
32 give the choice of not making a choice themselves (e.g. REQUIRED_USE
33 setups that often end up requiring configuration choices in
34 package.use).
35
36 In a broader sense it's a meta-distribution for other things to be
37 based on (ChromeOS, derivatives, etc) - unfortunately I don't think we
38 cater towards this use case very well ourselves.
39
40 We should work towards improving our strengths to regain more of our
41 standing in the Linux ecosystem, and drive it home with appropriate PR
42 work. But this needs volunteers to do the work, but I believe leaders
43 in the community can encourage such volunteers to step up and empower
44 them to get things done. I believe council members should act as such
45 leaders.
48 Mart