From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-project] GLEP-0076's "committer's Legal name" vs international names
Date: Fri, 21 May 2021 18:50:38
1 Hi,
2
3 I've recently seen a bug [1] where a contributer was implicitly told
4 that their name wasn't their "full name".
5
6 GLEP-0076 states "The sign-off must contain the committer's legal name
7 as a natural person, i.e., the name that would appear in a government
8 issued document."
9
10 If the person has multiple government-issued documents that don't
11 exactly match, but ARE a form accepted by the issuing government, then
12 Gentoo SHOULD accept them, and clearly document known forms (probably in
13 an appendix to the GLEP).
14
15 I'd like this the GLEP text I cited above, to be changed to:
16 "The sign-off must contain the committer's legal name as a natural
17 person, i.e., the name that would appear in a government issued
18 document, in the commonly used form for that committer. (See Appendix
19 for examples)"
20
21 Population groups around the world have different naming schemes, this
22 include such things as first-name only (no surname), multiple legal
23 names. A longer list is available at "Falsehoods Programmers Believe
24 About Names" [2]
25
26 I'm going to contribute the first examples for the Appendix here, based
27 on cases I'm recently aware of.
28
29 Canada: French-Canadian Names
30 -----------------------------
31 Catholic naming practices [3] may mean that a person has additional first
32 names [4] that appear in SOME of their government issued documentation,
33 but not all documentation.
34 E.g. "Jean Chrétien", former Canadian prime minster has a birth
35 certificate and some ID that use "Joseph Jacques Jean Chrétien",
36 while other ID uses "Jean Chrétien".
37
38 India:
39 ------
40 India, as a diverse country, has a variety of naming schemes [5], and
41 differing government ID rules [6] applied to those names. Notably, it
42 is common for parts of names to be written with initials on some
43 forms of ID, particularly where the initial is used to shorten a
44 specific known word (e.g. village name), such as "E.V. Ramasamy".
45
46 Indonesia:
47 ----------
48 It is possible to have only a single name (Mononymic), and no
49 surname. e.g. "Suharto"
50
51 [1] not linked because it's presently redacted at the request of the
52 person that opened it
53 [2] https://shinesolutions.com/2018/01/08/falsehoods-programmers-believe-about-names-with-examples/
54 [3] Canada names: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_name#French_Canadian_names
55 [4] Canada Example: https://www.richmond-news.com/local-news/richmond-resident-fighting-icbc-over-catholic-first-names-3674843
56 [5] Indian names: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_name
57 [6] India Example: https://scroll.in/latest/833897/people-with-initials-special-characters-in-their-names-face-problems-linking-their-pan-and-aadhaar
58 [7] Indonesian names: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indonesian_names#Mononymic_names
61 Robin Hugh Johnson
62 Gentoo Linux: Dev, Infra Lead, Foundation Treasurer
63 E-Mail : robbat2@g.o
64 GnuPG FP : 11ACBA4F 4778E3F6 E4EDF38E B27B944E 34884E85
65 GnuPG FP : 7D0B3CEB E9B85B1F 825BCECF EE05E6F6 A48F6136