From: kuzetsa <kuzetsa@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Repo mirror & CI: official statement wrt GitHub
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2018 19:55:35
1 On 06/09/2018 03:25 AM, Michał Górny wrote:
2
3 {...}
4
5 > As for moving mirrors elsewhere, I don't really see much of a purpose
6 > in doing that; at least as long as GitHub provides the service for free
7 > and doesn't complain about the space or the traffic involved.
8 > The primary use of the service is through git, so I don't really think
9 > it matters where the servers stand. Moving them elsewhere sounds like
10 > an unnecessary complexity for our users who'd have to update repos.conf.
11
12 {...}
13
14 > I'm ready and willing to support GitHub pull requests as long as there's
15 > interest in contributors using them, and the terms of service don't
16 > cause us any major trouble. That said, this particular project doesn't
17 > have much of a say how users decide to submit contributions and/or how
18 > developers wish to accept them.
19
20 {...}
21
22 > To those who believe moving out of GitHub is the only thing to do,
23 > I would like to remind you of two things. Firstly, if Microsoft indeed
24 > has malicious intent, then they've already won because you've let them
25 > fragment the community. Secondly, how do you know that GitLab won't be
26 > sold to another 'big player' soon enough?
27
28 This is sensible to me.
29
30 for non-developers who already contribute using a
31 git-based workflow, all github does (for example: for me
32 in-particular) is provide a convenient way to validate
33 that the commit was made by me and not someone else.
34
35 so long as repoman's default requirement that commits
36 should be signed, the github infrastructure knows which
37 PGP key is mine, and marks my commits as verified. for my
38 comfort, the increased effort to use a different workflow
39 (switching infra for git pushes) would be trivial, but
40 the burden is still a burden. a needless burden.
41
42 adding an //alternative// won't help me personally, but I
43 can only speak for myself. maybe some people feel more
44 strongly and would prefer a boycott. I'm not advocating
45 for this, but if some people opt to do so I'll probably
46 just keep using my current workflow. the added effort
47 to use a different method should be optional, I feel.
48
49 I see no utility to fix something which some people feel
50 isn't broken. so long as dropping github doesn't happen,
51 adding gitlab (or any other method) shouldn't affect me.
52 rather, it would add //an option// for people who feel the
53 need to use "not github", and that //can// be a positive.
54
55 --kuza