From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: Denis Dupeyron <calchan@g.o>
Cc: Gentoo project list <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Improving our people
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 04:30:46
1 On 00:47 Wed 21 Jan , Denis Dupeyron wrote:
2 > Donnie Berkholz wrote:
3 > > Track who's mentored people
4 > > How many people?
5 > > How good are the mentees?
6 > > Commits, etc
7 > > How long do the mentees stay in Gentoo?
8 > > Do they become mentors or leaders?
9 > > How long does mentorship continue?
10 >
11 > Are you trying to rate the mentor or the mentee here ?
12
13 The mentor, primarily. Evaluating the mentee is a separate issue, and I
14 discuss it below.
15
16 Or both ? What do
17 > you think you can identify with this data ? What's the goal ?
18
19 We want a way to measure who good mentors are, and who bad ones are.
20 With this, we can do a better job of giving recognition to the good
21 ones. Recognition is so important in volunteer projects, and we give
22 almost none to our mentors. Furthermore, knowing who the best mentors
23 are gives us a good idea of pairs for co-mentoring and potential
24 recruiters. It isn't necessarily obvious from a recruiter's interaction
25 with a mentor whether he is good at the actual task of mentoring.
26
27 We can also know who the bad ones are, so that we can work with them to
28 help them improve at mentoring or eventually say they just can't mentor
29 anymore.
30
31 Since the product of a mentor is a new developer, the best way to look
32 at the strength of a mentor is to look at who he's mentored.
33
34 > > Reward mentors publicly
35 > > Recognition
36 >
37 > You're right, I also think this is important. Plus, good mentors are
38 > good potential candidates to become recruiters. When I see a good mentor
39 > I always try to talk to him/her about becoming a recruiter. It almost
40 > worked, once.
41 >
42 > > Mention in recruitment email
43 >
44 > When I notice the mentor did a good job I usually mention it in the
45 > announcement. The question is should we say when we think the mentor did
46 > a lousy job and for example recruiters had to find a new one or finish
47 > the training themselves ? Until now I never did.
48
49 Compliment in public, criticize in private, and all that jazz. The lack
50 of mention in the email could be a subtle clue in itself. =)
51
52 > > Get better new devs
53 >
54 > Should we do a better screening of potential devs ?
55
56 I think the only way to tell whether someone is a good dev is to look at
57 how good of a dev they are (perhaps over their first 90 days).
58 Predicting is hard, looking at how they perform at the actual task is
59 easier.
60
61 > Should we go hunting for candidates more actively ? I did this in the
62 > past and usually this doesn't work very well for various reasons.
63 > Should we advertise our needs more ? Or advertise only when there are
64 > urgent needs in order to avoid a wear-off effect ?
65
66 We should always be on the lookout for good people. Our standard
67 shouldn't drop at all even if we desperately need new devs. The only
68 thing that should change is how much time we spend looking for those who
69 meet our standards.
70
71 > One thing I want to note here is that I'm convinced many of our users
72 > could become good devs. We don't need geniuses, but people with adequate
73 > social skills who make the commitment to help Gentoo. Maintaining
74 > ebuilds isn't rocket science, even I can do it. Once you know the basics
75 > and where all the necessary info is it's not that complicated. What it
76 > takes is focusing on doing a good job and interacting in a suitable way
77 > with other devs and users. What I mean really is that there's hope. Good
78 > devs are everywhere, our only task is to train them for their daily
79 > activity of maintaining ebuilds.
80
81 What we need from potential devs is interest and enthusiasm. The rest is
82 learnable.
83
84 > > Improve existing devs by pairing w senior mentors (code review,
85 > > designing/proposing major changes, etc)
86 >
87 > This happens during the one-month probation. I'm sure though that
88 > probation isn't done properly by most mentors.
89
90 It needs to be longer. I'm talking about permanent mentoring, but not
91 necessarily pairing with the same person forever. As you become more
92 experienced and start trying new things, you should switch mentors to
93 those who are just a level "above" you in whichever area you're trying
94 to improve.
95
96 > The pairing should also happen more at the project/herd level. It all
97 > depend on the team, and on the motivation.
98
99 Yep. I alluded to that above.
100
101 > > Improve mentoring
102 > > Best mentors can train how to do it
103 >
104 > Yes, or recruiters. Also, I try to setup co-mentoring as soon as I see
105 > an opportunity. The classical case is pairing an experienced dev/mentor
106 > with little time to co-mentor with a less experienced dev or first-time
107 > mentor.
108
109 /me looks at self wrt little time
110
111 > The biggest problem is as always lack or recruiters. I'm currently away
112 > until at least March due to not having a place to leave anymore, and
113 > thus no (real) internet either. In the meantime Petteri is doing a
114 > tremendous job at filling both my shoes and his. We should all thank him
115 > for that. I hear there are a couple new recruiters coming in, but I'd
116 > hate their training to be sacrificed due to our urgent need for help.
117 > Bad recruiters means a few "generations" of bad devs (on a Gentoo
118 > time-scale I'd consider a generation to be 6 months, i.e. the time it
119 > takes for a new dev to become a mentor). On the other hand, we do need help.
120
121 Indeed, Petteri is rocking it. Recruiting is so important that I've
122 thought about dropping some other responsibilities to get back into it.
123 (I was a recruiter long ago.) Maybe once I finish my Ph.D. and the
124 Gentoo book.
125
126 I think a longer, 90-day probation period with a serious evaluation and
127 reconsideration of developer-ship at the end would be worthwhile.
128
129 > Now for a different idea on the "Improving our people" subject, just
130 > before I had to (temporarily) stop my recruiting work, I was thinking
131 > about setting interactive "classes" on irc. We could decide of a topic,
132 > time, etc... and have devs sign up (how about non-devs too ?). The
133 > session would consist of a quick recap of the necessary knowledge on
134 > this topic (say dev quiz level, for example). This would have to be
135 > short to avoid being boring. Then most of the session would be spent on
136 > questions and answers, and very probably participants could answer each
137 > others questions most of the time. Topics would certainly be more often
138 > technical, but not only. We could have topics like "Good mentor
139 > practices" or "How to interact with other devs" for example.
140
141 I've thought about that. It seems to me that the more practical
142 something is to someone, the more likely people are to actually remember
143 it. With that in mind, I think "classes" would actually have to be
144 workshops where everyone brought a project, and a couple of leaders were
145 available for occasional questions. Vaguely like a bugday.
148 Thanks,
149 Donnie
150
151 Donnie Berkholz