From: "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-project] Gentoo, GitHub, and the Social Contract
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2015 20:48:48
1 Hi all,
2
3 whenever the suggestion comes up to enable contributions to Gentoo via Github
4 pull requests, we also encounter discussion of the Gentoo Social Contract.
5
6 The two points that are seen as conflicting are
7
8 * The software running Github is closed source, proprietary.
9
10 * The Gentoo Social Contract states [1]:
11 "Gentoo will never depend upon a piece of software or metadata unless it
12 conforms to the GNU General Public License, the GNU Lesser General Public
13 License, the Creative Commons - Attribution/Share Alike or some other license
14 approved by the Open Source Initiative (OSI)."
15
16 We need to resolve this discussion somehow, by formulating a clear policy.
17 Which is why I'm putting it up here for discussion and will ask to add it to
18 the next council meeting agenda.
19
20 Many arguments have already been made. Feel free to summarize your points
21 again in a reply to this e-mail.
22
23 Cheers,
24 Andreas