From: "M. J. Everitt" <m.j.everitt@×××.org>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Groups under the Council or Foundation: the structure & processes thereof
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2016 19:47:17
1 On 13/11/16 19:37, William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
2 > On Sunday, November 13, 2016 11:26:29 AM EST Alec Warner wrote:
3 >> What I think is actually true is that there are some risks the current
4 >> board sees, and they (we?, I am on the board after all) see one way to
5 >> reduce the risk is by this joining. I think we should also be open to
6 >> evaluating the risks and seeking other avenues to mitigate them.
7 >>
8 >> I think, speaking in general terms, one risk is the following.
9 >>
10 >> 1) When a community member feels harmed by the community, they can file a
11 >> suit. They can sue individuals, or they can sue the Foundation. They cannot
12 >> sue "Comrel" for example, because Comrel is not an entity. They can sue the
13 >> individuals that compose comrel, or they can sue the Foundation.
14 >>
15 >> 2) If they sue the Foundation, we are worried that a 100% hands-off
16 >> solution is going to be an effective defense. In the current scheme, the
17 >> Foundation has no real control over the operation of Comrel. I think there
18 >> is a lack of confidence that this defense is sufficient to dismiss a suit
19 >> though.
20 >>
21 > A defamation suit is not out of the question if someone feels actions taken
22 > against them have caused great harm to their reputation.
23 >
24 > For example;
25 > In my case being painted as an outcast could have implications in obtaining
26 > jobs, etc. It would be interesting to see how a court would rule on someones
27 > volunteer actions, perceived conduct by others, having effect on their ability
28 > to make a living, Based on how others have made them out to be, an outcast,
29 > etc, tarnishing their reputation publicly.
30 >
31 > Something many seem to ignore or overlook. Comrel or any action taken against
32 > someone could have serious impacts on that individuals career. Their ability
33 > to make a living, obtain jobs, contracts, etc.
34 >
35 And this is the point, why Gentoo has GOT to take this seriously ..
36 continuously brushing it under the carpet until someone suitably savvy
37 takes Gentoo to court . do we really want to actively ALLOW this to happen?!
38
39 Accepting that there is a problem, is the first step to solving it .....