From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o, gentoo-project@l.g.o
Cc: Gentoo Elections <elections@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: [gentoo-nfp] 2021 Trustees election
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2021 06:18:23
1 On Wed, 2021-07-07 at 07:32 +0300, Joonas Niilola wrote:
2 > On 7.7.2021 0.57, Matt Turner wrote:
3 > >
4 > > As far as I can tell, you're the only one who has done anything
5 > > concrete towards merging the Gentoo Foundation into an umbrella
6 > > organization :(
9 > Out of curiosity, with an umbrella organization could there be any fear
10 > for a similar takeover that happened with Freenode?
13 There will always be fear. Technically, we will sign some kind of
14 agreement with safeguards against that but I'm not convinced we'd be
15 able to legally pursue them (unless some fancy 'open source' lawyer
16 volunteers to help us).
17
18 That said, it's no different with Gentoo Foundation that isn't legally
19 obliged to care about Gentoo at all (and have historically refused to
20 fix that). I'm not accusing anyone, just saying that technically it is
21 possible for GF to take full control over Gentoo assets.
22
23 Of course, there's a good chance that they 'know better', especially
24 that the Freenode incident proved that asset ownership is no match for
25 community.
28 Best regards,
29 Michał Górny