From: Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Comrel Accountability (Was "Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Trying to become a Gentoo Developer again spanning 8 years...")
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2016 11:59:47
1 On 2016.10.12 11:26, Daniel Campbell wrote:
2 > Starting a new thread since this goes beyond the original's topic.
3 >
4 [snip]
5
6 Team,
7
8 > Issues should be dealt with individually rather than a set of
9 > problems,
10 > as it makes it too easy to look at three or four problems together and
11 > justify a harsh 'sentence' instead of giving each of them a fair look.
12 >
13 > I feel this way because I would not want to be on the receiving end of
14 > such incompetence. I joined Gentoo mostly so I could give back to the
15 > libre software community, and to be more involved to hopefully help
16 > create a better Gentoo.
17
18 Incompetence is the wrong word. I used to share that view but no more.
19 There is a potted history of the Gentoo metatstruture os the wiki at
20 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Foundation:Gentoo_History
21 It was written for an entirely different purpose but gives timelines
22 for the origins of the Foundation and council.
23
24 devrel and userrel predate both the Foundation and council. There are
25 some IRC logs from 2003 discussing setting up these projects.
26 This predating Foundation and council is important to understanding
27 how we got to where we are.
28
29 At the time devrel and userrel were set up, Gentoo had its BDFL.
30 If he took an interest in the inner workings of these new projects,
31 he would get it. That these projects we set up as ordinary projects,
32 with no checks and balances, was of no consequence at that time.
33
34 When the council was formed and later, when the CoC was
35 formalised in 2007, the CoC granted enforcement powers to
36 devrel and userrel but they were still left as ordinary projects.
37
38 Today, we have the situation where devrel and userrel have merged
39 into comrel and we know that council do not review what their
40 delegate does except upon an appeal.
41
42 Many of the people involved in the CoC and devrel in 2007 have
43 moved on, so the collective memory of the intended interpretation
44 of the CoC has been lost.
45
46 Its divergent evolution, not incompetence.
47
48 [snip lots of good stuff]
49
50 > ~zlg
51 >
52 > --
53 > Daniel Campbell - Gentoo Developer
54 > OpenPGP Key: 0x1EA055D6 @ hkp://keys.gnupg.net
55 > fpr: AE03 9064 AE00 053C 270C 1DE4 6F7A 9091 1EA0 55D6
60 Regards,
61
62 Roy Bamford
63 (Neddyseagoon) a member of