From: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] New research: Gentoo Portage Package Dependencies
Date: Mon, 19 May 2014 23:55:55
1 On 05/19/2014 06:24 PM, Pavlos Ratis wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > Recently I found that there's a new research on Gentoo, specifically
5 > for Portage and package dependencies[1].
8 [snip]
9
10 So that's quite ... hmm, I don't know.
11
12 There's an interesting lesson to be found: If you want to do such
13 research, get in contact with the developers. I was quite amused that
14 they spent literally weeks fetching things from anoncvs.g.o instead of
15 being lazy, or using some weird hackarounds instead of reading the
16 metadata cache directly.
17
18 For me such things are obvious, for them it's magic - but apparently
19 they never bothered to ask.
20
21 The result seems to be that libraries only get used when they exist and
22 not before, and/or I'm too critical of conclusions. Might be nice to
23 make some more graphs showing how things evolve over time.