From: NP-Hardass <NP-Hardass@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Cc: dilfridge@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Comrel Improvements: Expectations of Privacy
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2016 05:20:21
1 On 10/03/2016 01:07 PM, Andreas K. Huettel wrote:
2 > Am Montag, 3. Oktober 2016, 18:00:59 schrieb William L. Thomson Jr.:
3 >> On Friday, September 30, 2016 8:59:15 PM EDT Rich Freeman wrote:
4 >>> The Issue
5 >>> Recently there has been some questioning of whether we have the right
6 >>> balance of privacy in Comrel disputes.
7 >
8 >> Anonymous stats can be produced and released without releasing any private
9 >> information.
12 > OK here's some stats:
13 >
14 > I became Comrel lead in September 2014 (ca 2 years ago). Since then, i.e. for
15 > the duration of 2 years, there were (the numbers are from memory / estimated):
16 >
17 > * cases where a full comrel vote about disciplinary action was held: 2
18 >
19 Not knowing how other projects fare, but 1 major incident doesn't sound
20 like ComRel is inundated with situations requiring heavy handed action.
21 > * cases where comrel got involved in recruiting: 1 (hi there)
22 >
23 > * cases where a short penalty according to the code of conduct rules was
24 > handed out (requires 2 team members to agree): ~ 5-10
25 > (I.e., 48h bugzilla ban or 7day mailing list ban.)
26 >
27 Again, given our user base, a minor incident every two to four months
28 doesn't sound bad to me.
29 > * cases where someone had a chat ("this wasn't so great, please think about
30 > doing it better next time") or sent an e-mail: ~ 10-15, maybe more
31 Same as previous statement.
32 >
33 > * cases where someone was shouting for comrel to intervene: far too many
34 > (Somehow the ability of people to solve interpersonal problems on their own
35 > seems to get lost. Also, this is a really good point why teams should have an
36 > active team lead- who is the first point of contact and knows the involved
37 > persons better.)
38 What degree of transparency is the reporter given at this point
39 regarding how their incident will (not?) be handled? I feel like it is
40 probably hard for someone to assess when their situation is so far
41 devolved that it necessitates escalation.
42
43 Overall, I find your stats, though informal, somewhat reassuring, Seems
44 that we have a fairly low incidence of action being taken and/or needing
45 to be taken by ComRel, which is good in the respect that it means that
46 they likely aren't over-acting.
47
48 On the other hand, the last section of your post makes me a little
49 uncomfortable. Given my experiences with ComRel, I wonder how many
50 incidents could or should have been escalated. See my previous comment
51 re: transparency and subsequent comment regarding status updates.
52
53 Per the previous statement in this thread about whether reporting is
54 mandatory, is there a way for an individual to ensure that their inquiry
55 to ComRel is being forwarded to the body itself rather than handled and
56 potentially dismissed without official reporting/escalation? For
57 example, if I message a member of ComRel because I'm having some issue,
58 do I have any guarantee of it reaching ComRel, itself? Additionally
59 (and probably more critically) is there a way for me to check on the
60 status (both initial and as a case is progressing)? I would imagine
61 without some feedback mechanism, a person experiencing conflict that
62 warrants ComRel intervention might feel that their situation is being
63 ignored or not handled with an appropriate speed.
66 NP-Hardass