From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2016-04-10
Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2016 07:02:09
1 Hi,
2
3 On Sun, 3 Apr 2016 15:06:59 -0500 Matthew Thode wrote:
4 > On 04/03/2016 01:40 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
5 [...]
6 > > What project (if any) is officially responsible for the creation or
7 > > non-creation of Changelogs in the rsync mirrors? Do they have an
8 > > opinion on this matter? Would they prefer that the Council make a
9 > > decision?
10 > >
11 > > I bring this up because this seems like the sort of thing the Council
12 > > typically doesn't interfere with.
13 > >
14 > > Right now I'm personally inclined to vote against any resolution
15 > > requiring anybody to do anything simply because I don't see a pressing
16 > > need to impose a policy on them. I'd encourage anybody who wants a
17 > > repo with different/absent Changelogs to just create one and let
18 > > others sync it as they desire.
19 > >
20 > > I can certainly see the pros and cons but they don't really seem all
21 > > that dramatic to me.
22 > >
23 > Infra deals with it and it's a pain to continuously generate. It'd be
24 > nice to have people just check/use git instead if they want history, but
25 > people seem resistant to change. (this is my opinion)
26
27 Git is not a suitable replacement for rsync in some legitimate
28 cases. From memory I remember two (of course, other cases are
29 possible):
30
31 1) Git works poorly on slow/unstable connections: it can't resume
32 truncated connection and starts over again from the beginning.
33
34 2) While git pull is much faster on a decent connection than rsync,
35 metadata generation is damn slow, especially on older systems. On
36 my Atom it takes several hours which is unacceptable. Please note
37 I'm not talking about ChangeLogs generation, I meant metadata
38 directory requires for portage and many tools (like eix) to work
39 properly.
40
41 Best regards,
42 Andrew Savchenko