From: AllenJB <gentoo-lists@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-project] Website Reorganisation Ideas
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 12:28:23
Hi all,

Not 100% sure if this is the right list, but here it goes anyway. I
initially posted this on the forums [0] and it seemed to get a good
response.

[0] http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-716565.html

I was thinking about the Gentoo website, and how it can actually be
quite hard to navigate if you don't know where things are. I'd like to
suggest making it better through some simple restructuring of the
hierarchy of pages. The following list contains all the navigation links
on the current website, just rearranged.

I would suggest that only links directly below the level are displayed -
those further down would be hidden by default - perhaps via a
javascript/css reveal.

The order isn't specific.

     * Gentoo.org
           o Get Started - Links straight to the first chapter of the
handbook. I would suggest it explains how to choose which arch you need,
and then links to the handbooks for each arch, rather than the current
method of making people choose before they've read a single word.
           o News
                 + Security
                 + GMN
                 + Announcements