From: Arun Raghavan <ford_prefect@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Questions for Candidates (was: Questioning/Interviewing council nominees)
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2013 16:07:42
1 On 1 July 2013 17:06, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Mon, Jul 1, 2013 at 7:16 AM, Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn
3 > <chithanh@g.o> wrote:
4 >>
5 >> I wrote in a previous message that I would reconsider my position if the
6 >> amount of forked packages grew to unmanageable proportions. But until
7 >> then, if the kids cannot get along they shall play on separate playgrounds.
8 >
9 > As far as I'm concerned, kids who can't get along can go play
10 > someplace else. If you want your own apache ebuild that can't be
11 > touched by anybody but you, that's what overlays are for.
12 >
13 > Don't like that, please don't vote for me. I have no issues with real
14 > alternate implementations (openrc vs systemd, udev vs eudev,
15 > consolekit vs logind, alsa sorta-vs pulseaudio, etc). However,
16 > projects that discuss their plans openly, embrace our philosophy of
17 > choice, and which properly support their work to our quality standards
18 > will be able to take dumps on your packages if you put them in the
19 > main tree and there is nothing you'll be able to do about it. Call it
20 > tyranny of the majority if it makes you happier, but a distro that
21 > gives every developer veto-power over any change is destined for
22 > extinction. Innovation will always come from individual developers;
23 > the role of the Council is not to try to mandate innovation, but to
24 > get the roadblocks out of the way so that it can flourish.
27 Well said. Thank you for putting this down and taking a definitive
28 stance once this.
31 Arun Raghavan
32 http://arunraghavan.net/
33 (Ford_Prefect | Gentoo) & (arunsr | GNOME)