From: Aaron Bauman <bman@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: [gentoo-dev-announce] Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2018-12-09
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2018 01:29:38
1 On Tue, Dec 04, 2018 at 12:39:07AM +0000, M. J. Everitt wrote:
2 > On 04/12/18 00:16, Aaron Bauman wrote:
3 > >> On 25.11.2018 15:31, Mart Raudsepp wrote:
4 > >>> In two weeks from now, there will be a council meeting again. Now is
5 > >>> the time to raise and prepare agenda items that you want us to discuss
6 > >>> and/or vote upon.
7 > >>>
8 > >>> Please respond to this message on the gentoo-project mailing list with
9 > >>> agenda items.
10 > >>> The final agenda will be sent out on 2018-12-02, so please make sure
11 > >>> you post any agenda items before that, or we may not be able to
12 > >>> accommodate it into the next meeting.
13 > >>>
14 > >>> The meeting itself will happen on 2018-12-09 19:00 UTC [1] in the
15 > >>> #gentoo-council FreeNode IRC channel.
16 > >>>
17 > >>>
18 > >>> 1. https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20181209T19
19 > >>>
20 > >>>
21 > >>> Thanks,
22 > >>> Mart Raudsepp
23 > > I would like to propose, once again, that the council vote on the
24 > > following items:
25 > >
26 > > 1. The council approves all architectures that are maintained as stable
27 > > architectures.
28 > > - e.g. alpha, amd64, arm, arm64, ia64, ppc, ppc64, and x86.
29 > >
30 > > Conversely, the council also may remove/drop such architectures as
31 > > needed (c.f. item 2).
32 > >
33 > > 2. The council approves that all stable architectures are subsequently
34 > > determined to be security supported. Thus, an architecture may not be
35 > > stable and *not* security supported. This disparity has implications in
36 > > processes and timeliness of actions taken to mitigate vulnerabilities
37 > > reported.
38 > > - e.g. amd64 is approved as stable arch and thus is security supported.
39 > > - e.g. arm is dropped as a stable arch thus is no longer security supported.
40 > >
41 > > Overall, both of these items will provide a much clearer understanding
42 > > of how security is able to proceed with mitigating vulnerabilities in
43 > > the tree, how users view and understand what architectures are stable
44 > > and security supported, and allow the security team and maintainers a
45 > > clearer/cleaner process to follow.
46 > >
47 > > Standing by to answer RFI's.
48 > >
49 > > --
50 > > Cheers,
51 > > Aaron
52 > By all means correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding was that a
53 > stable *arch* meant that there was a consistent dependency tree, and this
54 > was maintained to ensure there was some integrity to that arch's packages.
55
56 Correct. Which directly correlates to how the security team and
57 maintainers are able to proceed with security related matters. Very
58 simply put:
59
60 Vulnerability Identified->Package patched/bumped->Stabilization
61 occurs->Vulnerable package (read... ebuild) is removed->GLSA issued if
62 required->Bug closed.
63
64 > It had/has nothing to do with security-supported which was another separate
65 > classification entirely.
68 Correct. Historically, it has been treated separately, but due to the
69 previous statement above it is quite interdependent.
70
71 > I see merit in simplifying the categorisation of arch package sets, but I'm
72 > not sure this particular change/proposal will serve much of a purpose,
73 > other than further reinforcing that amd64 is the only arch that Gentoo
74 > officially supports; and sets the wheels in motion for eventual bitrot of
75
76 Our intent is not bitrot of any arch. Many "alt-arches"
77 (uncommon/exotic... pick a description) keep up just fine... if not
78 exceed more common arches.
79
80 > anything else, streamlining the way for deprecation and treecleaning
81 > anything which is not relevant for amd64 arch.
82 > Please clarify that this is not, and will not be the case with this
83 > policy/proposal.
86 This is *not* the case and will never be the case for this proposal. I
87 don't believe anyone would vote/recommend such a thing if an arch is
88 capable of being supported.
91 Cheers,
92 Aaron