From: Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Formally have Council oversee the Foundation 2.0
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2017 15:00:44
1 Team,
2
3 Andreas,
4 I like the out of the box thinking.
5
6 On 2017.01.14 21:43, Andreas K. Huettel wrote:
7 > Hey all,
8 >
9 > I wrote this text up some months ago when Ian Delaney and Roy were
10 > making first
11 > noises that the Gentoo foundation should be in overall control of the
12 > distribution. At that time I didn't know about SPI and umbrella
13 > corporations yet.
14
15 Umbrella corporations remove some of the drudgery. They do not perform
16 any of decision making nor decision vetting. Gentoo, somewhere, still
17 needs to do that. We will still need to protect our trademarks ourselves
18 with the umbrella being used for escalation.
19
20 > Now, I see an umbrella organization as e.g. SPI as the better
21 > choice,
22 > since it relieves us from the jobs that noone (not even the trustees)
23 > want to do.
24
25 Not totally but it could help. It was seriously examined as an option
26 around 2009.
27 >
28 > Mostly I am sending this text (slightly edited) now out as alternative
29 >
30 > proposal for the unfortunate case when (for whatever reason) working
31 > with an
32 > umbrella organization such as SPI were not possible.
33
34 I think the setup we have now, where when the distro screws up, the
35 Foundation gets the blame is suboptimal. Any proposal for change
36 deserves to be examined on its merits.
39 > I've shown the text to a few people in the meantime, so don't be
40 > surprised if
41 > it has text overlap with other e-mails or reorganization proposals.
42 >
43 > Cheers, Andreas
44 >
45 > ------------
46 >
47 > Motivation: In recent vivid debates the Gentoo metastructure and the
48 > responsibilities of its organs have been called into question by a
49 > vocal
50 > minority. Compared with how the distribution has been running over the
51 > last
52 > years, most of the proposals aim to adapt reality to organizational
53 > structures. This proposal instead aims - in a very similar way as
54 > Michael's
55 > SPI proposal - to adapt organizational structures to reality.
56 >
57 > Letters [z] are textual footnotes, numbers [9] point to web links as
58 > source
59 > material.
60
61 Before continuing, the Foundation has an immutable constraint it
62 must operate within.
63 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Foundation:Articles_of_Incorporation
64 The NM Statues for non Profit Organisations.
65 http://www.sos.state.nm.us/Business_Services/Corporation_Statutes.aspx
66 Just Art 8.
67 There is flexibility where the statues point to the bylaws.
70 > Proposal: [a]
71 > The Gentoo Foundation bylaws are amended such that:
72 > * Gentoo Foundation trustee positions are appointed by the elected
73 > Gentoo Council via majority vote, for a fixed term. Each appointed
74 > person has to be
75 > confirmed by a yes/no vote of the Foundation members.
76 How does that sit with the requirements of 53-8-18 (on page 45) of
77 the NM statutes?
78 It sounds rather like the democracy in the former Iron Curtain
79 countries. Here’s a list of candidates ...
80 Perhaps I'm just old and cynical and it really doesn't matter.
81
82 What happens in the event of a 'no' vote of Foundation members, or
83 that council cannot find sufficient people that they are prepared to
84 nominate and who are willing to stand?
85 Council pick up the jobs – after all, we have seen what happens when
86 the Foundation activities are not performed.
87
88 What of Foundation Officers?
89 The trustees are the directors ... they provide direction.
90 The officers do the actual work. With a small NPO, there is little
91 distinction but it has worked well in the past when we have
92 been able to separate trustees and officers.
95 > A non-quorate
96 > member vote
97 > (less than 1/3 member participation) counts as confirmation.
98 A simple majority vote by foundation members fine. Its worked since 2008.
99 The reality is if you wait for a quorum of members, you (legally) adjourn
100 the meeting and the adjourned session is automatically quorate.
101
102 > * The Gentoo Council acts as independent, voter-appointed review and
103 > oversight
104
105 Won’t this need GLEP 39 to be amended?
106 The council is a ‘go to’ disputes resolution body. This proposal requires
107 it to actively manage the Foundation.
108
109 > … body for the Gentoo Foundation and has full access to Gentoo
110 > Foundation data.
111
112 Probably not. The council are not trustees, nor officers of the Foundation.
113 Some Foundation data is lawyer/client privileged. The client here is the
114 board and officers that need to know. That excludes council, unless
115 they happen to be officers that need to know.
116 Nothing, at present, excludes individuals serving on council and being
117 Foundation officers concurrently.
118
119 > It can require regular status updates from Gentoo Foundation trustees
120 > and officers.
121 Everything that can be public has been made public along the way.
122
123 > * The Gentoo Council can dismiss Gentoo Foundation trustees before
124 > their term
125 > runs out by unanimous vote of Gentoo Council members.
126 The holes thus created need to be filled, How?
127 Council will step in?
128
129 ... and officers, who may be different individuals?
133 > Implementation:
134 > While changing the role of the Gentoo Council requires changes to GLEP
135 > 39 and
136 > thereby a vote of all developers, the above changes to the Gentoo
137 > Foundation
138 > bylaws can be implemented by the trustees alone. So, in principle this
139 > change
140 > could be done during the next Gentoo Foundation trustee meeting and be
141 > immediately in effect.
142
143 Almost. New bylaws need to be drafted reviewed approved and filed with
144 New Mexico. Something at the back of my mind says that we need to serve
145 some notice period to members too, before revised bylaws become effective
146 The effect would not be immediate.
149 > Rationale (the long part): [b]
150 >
151 > A] Philosophy – should the „suits“ lead?
152 > The main purpose of the Gentoo Foundation is to administrate Gentoo
153 > finances
154 > and protect Gentoo intellectual property. We are talking about two
155 > important
156 > tasks here that require high dedication and are central to the daily
157 > functioning of Gentoo. However, Gentoo is not a corporation, but an
158 > open
159 > source initiative by volunteers. Most people investing time into
160 > Gentoo as
161 > developers [c] are focussing on the technical aspect, and a community
162 > without
163 > code is worthless in our context. I am aware that current trustees are
164 >
165 > investing also much time and effort into technical aspects of Gentoo.
166 > However,
167 > having people direct the course of the distribution due to occupying a
168 > non-
169 > technical, finance and administrative *role* means having the tail wag
170 > the dog.
171
172 I’ll need to ask “What is Gentoo?” and “Who speaks for Gentoo?” to
173 respond to that. Its likely we have different viewpoints on the former
174 or we would not be having this discussion. The answer to the second
175 part of the question is linked to the first.
176
177 > If anything, in a community-driven, non commercial Linux distribution
178 > administration should follow technical requirements.
179 First and foremost administration should follow the legislation.
180 It would be more than unfortunate to do something illegal while following
181 technical requirements.
184 > B] Practicality – the two-headed snake
185 > The separation of tasks and responsibilities between Gentoo Council
186 > and the
187 > Gentoo Foundation trustees has worked out fine for years.
188 It works while we are all good friends.
189
190 > Any one-sided attempt
191 > to change the balance, however, easily provides cause for conflict and
192 > endless
193 > bikeshedding.
194
195 I don’t see any one sided attempt to change the balance. Only healthy
196 discussion about if we should and to what.
197
198 > This not only binds efforts and slows down decision
199 > processes, but also makes Gentoo as a whole vulnerable to outside
200 > manipulation. By playing the Gentoo Foundation trustees against the
201 > Gentoo Council or
202 > vice
203 > versa, and searching supporters whereever it just suits, third parties
204 > can
205 > induce friction and attempt to work around established procedures.
206
207 Isn’t that an example of the present arrangement not working?
210 > C] Mandate – manifestos and voter perception
211 > Given the background of the previous years and the election manifestos
212 > of the
213 > two 2016 elected Gentoo Foundation trustees [1,2] I see no voter
214 > intent to
215 > extend the powers of the Gentoo Foundation trustees into topics
216 > previously
217 > handled by the Gentoo Council. Conversely, manifestos of the 2016
218 > elected
219 > Gentoo Council members cover a very wide range of topics
220 > [3,4,5,6,7,8], in
221 > particular including also community oversight and public relations.
222 >
223 > D] Oversight – past inactivity of the trustees to protect Gentoo
224 > assets
225 > As already stated above, the current role of the Gentoo Foundation and
226 > its
227 > trustees is very important for the daily running of Gentoo – without
228 > it there
229 > would be no infrastructure, no funds for equipment, and so on.
230 > However, past
231 > events (failing to renew corporate registration, failing to submit tax
232 > filings,
233
234 The corporate registration was renewed on time in 2007. New Mexico lost
235 it after receipt. (That’s newish information to me)
236
237 > the treasurer disappearing for many months without anyone panicking,
238 > an
239 > apparent 5-digit mismatch in finances) do not really recommend the
240 > Gentoo
241 > Foundation as top level oversight body. On the contrary, a compliance
242 > board
243 > (as in this proposal the Gentoo Council) should be instated which is
244 > able to
245 > oversee and take corrective action.
248 > E] Legalese – formal legitimization of the current trustee election
249 > The current method of electing the Gentoo Foundation trustees is
250 > legally
251 > shaky. I have no doubts that the election process fairly expresses the
252 > wishes
253 > of the voters. However, it leads to a rather strange conundrum in the
254 > Gentoo
255 > Foundation bylaws: The bylaws require that the Board of Trustees is
256 > elected by
257 > an annual meeting of the foundation members [Sec. 3.2], which is
258 > supposed to
259 > normally take place on IRC in the #gentoo-trustees channel [Sec. 3.1].
260 > A
261 > meeting requires a quorum of 1/3 of the members entitled to vote,
262 > „represented
263 > in person“ [Sec. 3.9]. If this is taken verbatim, none of the trustees
264 > of the
265 > past years would have been elected; I can't remember any meeting where
266 > a
267 > quorum of foundation *members* would have been present. A completely
268 > different, conflicting set of instructions covering the current method
269 > and
270 > condorcet voting, is set out in a later paragraph [Sec. 5.5].
271
272 As you say, meetings of members that fail to reach a quorum should be
273 adjourned.
274 The adjourned session is automatically quorate.
275 >
276 > ---------
279 > [a] In case this is not legally possible for a New Mexico nonprofit, a
280 > re-
281 > incorporation in a different legal system (e.g., EU, where many Gentoo
282 >
283 > developers now reside) should be pursued.
284
285 There is a way. The assets of the existing Foundation can be run down
286 by paying the bills. They cannot be transferred. Its not clear what
287 would happen with the registered marks.
288 As the existing Foundation was run down, so a new entity could be
289 ‘run up’ elsewhere.
290
291 This is much the same as would happen if we joined an umbrella
292 organisation and decided to leave again later.
295 > [b] I have taken the liberty to freely use arguments here which have
296 > originally been posted by, e.g., rich0 or neddyseagoon. Nevertheless,
297 > opinions
298 > expressed here are mine and should not be construed as a Gentoo
299 > Council or
300 > ComRel team statement.
301
302 Incremental change is usually easiest but its not always the way ahead.
306 > [c] A developer is a person who has passed the recruitment process and
307 > has a
308 > @gentoo.org e-mail address. This is independent of push access to the
309 > main
310 > Gentoo ebuild repository.
311 >
312 > [1] http://dev.gentoo.org/~dabbott/manifest.html
313 > [2] https://dev.gentoo.org/~prometheanfire/trustee-manifesto.html
314 > [3] https://dev.gentoo.org/~blueness/manifesto-2016.txt
315 > [4] https://dev.gentoo.org/~dilfridge/Manifest-2016.txt
316 > [5] https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-project/message/
317 > 368c35c8337e00d5e22686c782a917b7
318 > [6] https://dev.gentoo.org/~k_f/Manifest-2016.txt
319 > [7] https://dev.gentoo.org/~rich0/council-manifesto-2016.txt
320 > [8] https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-project/message/
321 > 92961cfdbe56960fa2c78a04662c3547
324 Disclaimer:
325 The opinions here are my own and do not represent the opinion of
326 any group I am associated with now or may have been associated with
327 in the past.
330 Regards,
331
332 Roy Bamford