From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2018-04-08
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2018 01:46:23
1 On Mon, Apr 2, 2018 at 9:38 PM, Matthias Maier <tamiko@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Mon, Apr 2, 2018, at 20:01 CDT, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> On Mon, Apr 2, 2018 at 8:40 PM, Matthias Maier <tamiko@g.o> wrote:
6 >>>
7 >>> - overruling council (and comrel?) decisions with a 2:1 majority
8 >>>
9 >>
10 >> While I could see this making sense for most Council/QA decisions, I'm
11 >> skeptical of how this could work for Comrel, given that nobody would
12 >> have anything to go off of, unless we made these matters public.
13 >
14 > Good point. Let me remove the (and comrel?) from my suggestion.
17 My intent wasn't to squelch it or anything - just to point out that it
18 really is a different sort of issue.
19
20 Maybe the right way to look at is that people-oriented decisions are
21 different than other sorts of decisions. So, either make them two
22 separate GLEPs (assuming we want both parts), or two parts of one
23 GLEP, or whatever. But, if you separate the Comrel bits then the more
24 straightforward (and still fairly extensive) idea you have can go
25 through the process without being held up. Then put Comrel on its own
26 track if desired, and when it is discussed/debated you can focus on it
27 and not beat around the busy with everything else.
28
29 Also, we might or might not want to pattern this off of the Foundation
30 bylaws for direct actions by members. That said, as with most such
31 documents, the bylaws are basically written to satisfy legal
32 requirements but they make such actions VERY difficult to achieve.
33
34 One other practical note. Unless something has changed I believe our
35 elections system allows only one election at a time. If we
36 anticipating having a lot of these general resolutions that could
37 become limiting unless voting periods are shortened.
40 Rich