From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] [RFC] GLEP 76: Copyright Policy [v4]
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2018 19:28:29
1 On Wed, Oct 3, 2018 at 3:16 PM Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > Sign-off usually means "I have reviewed this commit and approve it".
4 > This is how it works in the Linux kernel where one have to collect
5 > sufficient number of sign-offs to pass commit in the main tree. An
6 > attempt to give it another meaning like "I'm the author of this
7 > commit" looks questionable. Of course DCO certification is fine as
8 > well.
11 In Linux kernel development signed-off-by has nothing to do with code
12 reviews/approvals per se, and everything to do with the DCO.
13
14 Documentation/process/submitting-patches.rst
15
16 Simply giving approval without certifying the DCO is done with the Acked-by tag.
17
18 Anybody in the process of forwarding the patch up to Linux has to
19 append a Signed-off-by, because they're signing the DCO for that
20 patch. A maintainer who isn't forwarding the patch would use
21 Acked-by, since they didn't touch the patch and thus could not have
22 introduced copyrightable changes.
25 Rich