From: Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Comrel Improvements: Expectations of Privacy
Date: Sun, 02 Oct 2016 05:20:39
1 On 10/01/2016 09:53 PM, Raymond Jennings wrote:
4 > On Sat, Oct 1, 2016 at 9:13 PM, Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o> wrote:
5 >> On 09/30/2016 05:59 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
6 >>> [snip]
7 >>>
8 >>> 1. When information is turned over to comrel who does it get shared
9 >>> with, and under what circumstances?
10 >>
11 >> That information should be kept mainly to the comrel member(s) who were
12 >> reported to. Should the issue become more serious, share it with the
13 >> rest of comrel according to case needs (one member having a friendship
14 >> with a given developer, or a professional background in community
15 >> management, etc).
16 >>
17 >>> 2. Do any members of the community have an obligation to report? Can
18 >>> members of comrel/trustees/officers/council/etc be told information in
19 >>> private without it being shared back with comrel for the official
20 >>> record?
21 >>
22 >> An obligation to report will result in more reporting, some of which
23 >> will end up being within CoC limits or merely a misunderstanding.
24 >> Encouragement might not be a bad idea, but forcing them to is just an
25 >> easy way to make ComRel busy; I'm sure they're just as understaffed as
26 >> the rest of Gentoo, however.
27 >
28 >>> 3. Specifically, what information gets shared with people named in a
29 >>> dispute of some kind?
30 >>
31 >> It depends on the type of dispute. If it's happenstance in a public
32 >> medium such as the forums, bugzilla, or the ML, then the antagonists and
33 >> their actions are known and can be shared freely.
34 >>
35 >> In short I think the privacy level of a dispute should never become
36 >> lower than the occurrence of the "crime". So if it was in PMs on IRC, it
37 >> now concerns the ComRel member who was contacted, Party A, and Party B.
38 >> It should only expand when one ComRel member isn't enough.
39 >>
40 >> Impactful changes to Gentoo staffing are deserving of mention, but in
41 >> general terms, like "Foobar project no longer has a lead, election
42 >> scheduled for..."
43 >>
44 >>> 4. Under what circumstances will information be shared with a
45 >>> government authority/etc?
46 >>
47 >> It's not written anywhere, but I think we owe it to our developers to
48 >> keep private information private. Without a sufficient reasoning and/or
49 >> legal force, imo Gentoo should not comply without overwhelming evidence
50 >> or legitimate legal threat to its incorporation status. We should treat
51 >> private and internal information like it's valuable and important,
52 >> because it is. If developers can't share information with the Foundation
53 >> and/or other developers and expect it to remain at least somewhat safe,
54 >> then it may lower morale within the Project.
55 >
56 > Would we assume that the foundation would be hiring counsel or otherwise
57 > opposing such legal threats in court? If the foundation gets a subpoena
58 > or served with a search warrant, how much effort should the foundation
59 > put into fighting it?
60 >
61 That's a good question with a possibly-messy answer. It depends; if we
62 already have a lawyer on retainer or otherwise would go to bat for us
63 and has an understanding of such law, then sure, hire counsel. But
64 anything impacting the finances imo should go past the Foundation and
65 the treasurer first. If we lack budgeting, then depending on how bad
66 this request is we may ask for people to pitch in or something. I doubt
67 anything like that would happen, however, so the most likely case is
68 subpoena for logs connected to a given IP address. If they have a search
69 warrant, well, not much you can do about that then, huh?
70
71 I'm not a lawyer, however, and don't know the safest approach that also
72 protects the Foundation's members. I just don't believe in handing
73 things over when they're asked for without a damn good reason.
74 >>> 5. Do subjects of comrel action generally have a "right to face their
75 >>> accuser?"
76 >>
77 >> If the action is impacting their developer status or public/internal
78 >> image, I believe the accuser should be willing to attach their name to
79 >> their accusations.
80 >
81 > +1 to this.
82 >
83 > Furthermore I believe in principle that if you aren't willing to put
84 > your ass on the line to back your accusation, then your testimony is
85 > worthless. People are put under oath in court for a reason, and there
86 > are penalties for perjury.
87 I agree up to the "penalty for perjury" part. On one hand, there should
88 be something that prevents people from making stuff up and generally
89 just killing peoples' time, but on the other, punishing someone for it
90 could result in them leaving the Foundation, possibly taking down
91 important things (forums, deliberately misconfigured mailserver, etc)
92 beforehand.
93
94 There needs to be a balance. Maybe once comrel and/or the Council have
95 decided a matter is important, the push rights of all involved parties
96 is suspended to prevent in-fighting. Could be a stupid idea, I dunno.
97 >
98 >>> 6. What should be communicated about comrel actions, both proactively
99 >>> and when people inquire about them?
100 >>
101 >> Proactive announcements only necessary when they impact the functioning
102 >> of Gentoo and have reason to be made public. Inquiries are a little
103 >> trickier, as we should strive for transparency internally, but keep
104 >> sensitive things from the general public.
105 >>
106 >>> I think there are a number of pros and cons to any approach we take,
107 >>> and it is possible for reasonable people to hold a different opinion
108 >>> on this topic.
109 >>>
110 >>> [snip]
111 >>>
112 >>> So, whether you think this is great or the worst drivel you've ever
113 >>> read, please do speak up...
114 >>>
115 >>> --
116 >>> Rich
117 >>>
118 >>>
119 >> I was wondering who would get around to writing something like this up
120 >> ever since that conversation about it a while back. :)
121 >>
122 >> --
123 >> Daniel Campbell - Gentoo Developer
124 >> OpenPGP Key: 0x1EA055D6 @ hkp://keys.gnupg.net
125 >> fpr: AE03 9064 AE00 053C 270C 1DE4 6F7A 9091 1EA0 55D6
126 >
127 > I'd also like to note for the record that the last known version of the
128 > developer quiz features a question about devrel (now comrel, +todo
129 > update it), so whoever wrote the quiz obviously feels that a good
130 > grounding in comrel procedures.
131 >
132 > I would very much like this noted for the record, and in addition to
133 > keeping the quiz updated with whatever happens in this discussion, I'd
134 > also like the current devmanual policy (cited in the quiz as a
135 > reference) involved as a subject in this discussion...does that make sense?
136 What devmanual policy are you referring to?
137 >
138 > We kinda do have documentation already, that is at the least being cited
139 > as a reference in the developer quiz...which I'm presently polishing my
140 > answers to in the wake of my pending recruitment.
143 Good luck on your journey to join us. :)
146 Daniel Campbell - Gentoo Developer
147 OpenPGP Key: 0x1EA055D6 @ hkp://keys.gnupg.net
148 fpr: AE03 9064 AE00 053C 270C 1DE4 6F7A 9091 1EA0 55D6