From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Council meeting 2015-04-14: call for agenda items
Date: Wed, 08 Apr 2015 13:33:43
1 On Wed, Apr 8, 2015 at 7:51 AM, William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > Changing the status of the arches in repoman is all I thought we were
4 > discussing. I wasn't saying we should revert or remove stable keywords
5 > for them. I think that's what vapier is doing with s390, sh, etc.
6 >
7 > Marking the arches dev or exp in the profiles means that repoman, by
8 > default, doesn't complain about broken depgraphs for them.
9
10 Well, we really have a few options as far as imposing changes from
11 outside the arch team goes (the arch team can clean up its own
12 depgraph, of course, but presumably we'd be taking action only if they
13 didn't).
14
15 1. We could make the arches dev/exp as you point out, and then allow
16 maintainers to just drop stable versions and break their depgraph.
17
18 2. We could keep the arches as stable, but then allow maintainers to
19 do massive keyword changes when they drop otherwise-stable versions.
20 That wouldn't break the depgraph, but it would mean that at random
21 times huge numbers of packages could have their keywords change.
22
23 Neither option is really ideal. I think that #1 is the lesser evil,
24 but that does mean that we need to make a distro-wide decision. The
25 advantage of #2 is that it basically is a NOP unless the arch team
26 actually reaches 90 days old. I think it is better to just have the
27 Council make a decision rather than kicking the can, but that said if
28 an arch team is willing to state clearly that they intend to
29 proactively clean up their depgraph and that they want to keep stable
30 keywords, I'm fine with checking back in a month rather than
31 de-stabilizing them next week.
34 Rich