From: Richard Yao <ryao@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Microsoft buys GitHub
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2018 15:58:20
1 > On Jun 4, 2018, at 12:37 PM, Anthony G. Basile <blueness@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 >> On 6/4/18 12:25 PM, R0b0t1 wrote:
4 >>> On Mon, Jun 4, 2018 at 10:05 AM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
5 >>> W dniu pon, 04.06.2018 o godzinie 15∶07 +0200, użytkownik Michał Górny
6 >>> napisał:
7 >>>> W dniu pon, 04.06.2018 o godzinie 19∶47 +0700, użytkownik
8 >>>> grozin@g.o napisał:
9 >>>>> https://itsfoss.com/microsoft-github/
10 >>>>>
11 >>>>> Does this influence Gentoo GitHun usage?
12 >>>>>
13 >>>>
14 >>>> As far as I'm aware, our Bylaws, Social Contract etc. don't say anything
15 >>>> about having to hate Microsoft.
16 >>>>
17 >>>> Gentoo should continue to support users via GitHub as long as users are
18 >>>> willing to contribute this way, and there are developers who wish to
19 >>>> support them.
20 >>>>
21 >>>
22 >>> Oh, I should have mentioned: as long as there are no major ToS changes
23 >>> or other events that would meaningfully affect our use of their
24 >>> services.
25 >>>
26 >>
27 >> That is exactly what people are expecting, but more in the way of
28 >> feature changes or a lack of development on integration with open
29 >> source technologies.
30 >>
31 >> For anyone interested, here is a fairly comprehensive comparison of
32 >> self hosting options: https://docs.gitea.io/en-us/comparison/
33 >>
34 >> It is likely gitea is the best.
35 >>
36 >> Cheers,
37 >> R0b0t1
40 > When github was first introduced to Gentoo, Michal and I argued quite a
41 > bit about it. My concern was data lock in. There is now a lot of
42 > Gentoo history in our repos and their issue tracker on github. I don't
43 > hate Microsoft, but I don't trust them. I think we should think of some
44 > way to be able to "bring that data home" in case the TOS does change
45 > drastically --- not just the git repos, but the bug reports too. I'm
46 > not sure how to do the latter.
47
48 GitLab claims to support importing all of that:
49
50 https://docs.gitlab.com/ee/user/project/import/github.html
51
52 It is bring your own infrastructure though. We could probably use OSUOSL for hosting,
53 >
54 > --Tony
55 >
56 > --
57 > Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
58 > Gentoo Linux Developer [Hardened]
59 > E-Mail : blueness@g.o
60 > GnuPG FP : 1FED FAD9 D82C 52A5 3BAB DC79 9384 FA6E F52D 4BBA
61 > GnuPG ID : F52D4BBA
62 >