From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Council meeting: Tuesday 11 November 2012, 19:00 UTC
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2012 00:02:29
1 On Thu, Nov 08, 2012 at 04:16:35PM -0500, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > Summarizing some irc discussion:
3 >
4 > On Thu, Nov 8, 2012 at 1:53 PM, William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
5 > > I believe we can drop the gen_usr_ldscript question, yes, because if
6 > > everything else happens, we can just have the toolchain guys make it a
7 > > noop on Linux.
8 >
9 > There is disagreement over whether this is a good idea. Nobody
10 > objects to dropping gen_usr_ldscript from discussion if it is left
11 > alone, but it probably deserves some kind of consideration if we want
12 > to change it (maybe not a council vote, but at least discussion).
13 >
14 > I think that the direction Gentoo wants to move in has no clear
15 > consensus. I see several options:
16 > 1. All boot-time files are in / (the old position, which we've agreed
17 > to move away from).
18 > 2. Files can be in / or /usr at maintainer discretion (align with
19 > upstream, etc).
20 > 3. All files should be in /usr - eventually /bin, /lib, and so on
21 > should be empty (where Fedora is going).
22 >
23 > Dropping support for separate /usr without one of the solutions
24 > already discussed is making the move from #1 to #2. I see modifying
25 > gen_usr_ldscript as making the step from #2 to #3.
26
27 No, it is part of the step from #1 to #2, since gen_usr_ldscript only
28 moves shared libraries. If we turn this off, we end up leaving shared
29 libraries where upstream intended them to be instead of putting them in
30 / and separating them from the static libraries.
31
32 > Personally I don't have a problem with the /usr move, but that is a
33 > big step, and I don't want to see lots of files moving to /usr without
34 > maintainer involvement unless we're REALLY sure we want that.
35
36 I'm not advocating right now for the /usr move, just what you called
37 step #1 to #2.
38
39 > Also,
40 > before that function is modified to be a no-op on linux we should do
41 > some serious testing - a lot of very important packages are going to
42 > be affected.
43
44 I do agree with testing, but this will all come after we implement
45 separate /usr support; otherwise the testing will fail if you have
46 separate /usr.
47
48 > And of course this only affects libraries - movement of anything else
49 > will require ebuild changes.
50
51 Actually it only affects shared libraries.
52
53 > > I would be ok with going a little longer than 30 days, but 6 months or
54 > > a year might be a bit extreme.
55 >
56 > That was my thought as well - maybe 60 or 90 days is a better option.
57 > Even 30 days though is a fair bit of time to migrate to initramfs. We
58 > can always send out a news item that this is coming now if anybody
59 > wants to mess with ~arch packages on a test machine before things are
60 > stabilized.
61
62 I have to get a new openrc stable and we need a newer genkernel before
63 anything can start stabilizing. I don't want to send out any newsitems
64 yet; I want to wait until the council says go ahead with this, and
65 probably I'll send it out when that happens and we have the newer openrc
66 and genkernel stabled and give a time window then.
67
68 Also, if you don't want to use initramfs, you can use busybox[sep-usr].
69 Emerge it with that use flag and follow the instructions you get.
70 William