From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o, Richard Freeman <rich0@g.o>, Sergey Popov <pinkbyte@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Council meeting 2015-01-13: call for agenda items
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2015 17:45:10
1 On Wed, Jan 7, 2015 at 11:30 AM, William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
2 > That's the whole point of a last rites, to get people to step up and
3 > take responsibility for packages. Also, this was cleared with the qa
4 > lead before it was ever sent out.
5
6 Define "take responsibility for packages." As far as I'm aware there
7 is no policy that requires maintainers to fix any upstream bug, and
8 security issues are almost always upstream bugs.
9
10 A package with a security bug for 10 years could be perfectly
11 well-maintained, with regular updates/etc as often as upstream
12 publishes them. Some software projects are fairly mature and don't
13 get a lot of upstream updates, so a package might be untouched for 5
14 years and have security issues and still be "well-maintained."
15
16 I think the solution to this is to have the community agree on just
17 what "well-maintained" actually means and documenting this as policy,
18 versus just making individual judgment calls. To be sure there will
19 still be grey areas, but I think that right now the policies are too
20 vague to try to enforce something like this.
23 > So I am operating clearly within the scope of qa, since the job of QA is
24 > to keep the tree in a consistent state for our users.
25 >
26 > So with all respect, I don't understand why this even needs to be
27 > escalated to the council.
28
29 There are many who would probably say that the tree is already in a
30 consistent state for our users. I realize that you feel otherwise,
31 and perhaps others in QA also feel otherwise. Maybe the vast majority
32 of the community would agree with you, but the whole reason for this
33 discussion and putting this on the Council agenda is so that we can
34 can get a sense for what the community wants and then consistently
35 follow that as policy.
36
37 It makes far more sense to deal with general policy issues like this
38 before we start treecleaning than to just leave it up to QA, have
39 users switching to overlays, and then have it appealed to the council
40 and potentially have everything re-introduced to the main tree.
43 Rich