From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] rfc: copyright attribution clarifications
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2018 16:19:11
1 On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 07:31:02 -0800 Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Wed, Nov 14, 2018 at 6:36 AM Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o> wrote:
3 > >
4 > > What's the main problem of most FOSS including Gentoo? Lack of
5 > > human power. And here you propose to neglect contributions if they
6 > > want a proper and legal and allowed by GPL attribution.
7 >
8 > Where is anybody talking about "attribution?"
9 >
10 > This is about copyright notice, which is NOT about crediting anybody
11 > with anything or giving attribution. It is about communicating the
12 > fact that code is copyrighted, so that people can't claim that they
13 > didn't know when the Foundation wants to sue them. I'm sure they're
14 > about to start doing that anytime...
15
16 It is your intent, but not full consequences of such statement.
17 Lack of proper copyright notice may be considered as a copyright or
18 authorship violation in some jurisdictions. Gentoo is used not only
19 in the US.
20
21 > Also, this doesn't seem to have been a problem in the past, and yet
22 > our policy was far less free then.
23 >
24 > > A few extra lines in the header doesn't as much as
25 > > inability to import GPL ebuilds to the tree due to our
26 > > questionable copyright line policy.
27 >
28 > What is it that we want to import but can't today?
29
30 I have this problem for years(!!) with hasufel overlay from which I
31 wanted to take voip-related stuff. Also we have wltjr's overlay
32 which will be useful for java packages.
33
34 > > > But, if you had to have multiple lines, then just wrap the existing
35 > > > notice. Don't turn it into some kind of revision history.
36 > >
37 > > That's what most FOSS software does. I see no reason why we should
38 > > be different.
39 >
40 > Do you have a citation for this? I'm not aware of many FOSS projects
41 > that use copyright notices as a revision history, let alone "most."
42
43 git grep through git repositories of large FOSS projects will be a
44 citation you requested.
45
46 > > IMO the best solution will be to recommend "Gentoo Authors"
47 > > attribution, but to allow additional copyright lines including the
48 > > case where "Gentoo Authors" is one of such lines.
49 >
50 > IMO doing this will just cause everybody and their uncle to insist on
51 > putting their names in various places.
52
53 There is nothing wrong with this.
54
55 > We've done just fine for going on 20 years not allowing any notice
56 > other than "Copyright xxx Gentoo Foundation."
57
58 Except for it was entirely wrong except for early days of Gentoo.
59
60 > Now we open things up a
61 > tiny bit and suddenly everybody and their uncle is saying that their
62 > employers won't let them contribute code unless they stick their
63 > company name in there. What have they been doing for the last decade?
64
65 They were not contributing or less contributing to Gentoo.
66
67 Best regards,
68 Andrew Savchenko