From: James Le Cuirot <chewi@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] [RFC] CoC change to encourage clear communication
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2020 09:23:34
1 On Wed, 16 Dec 2020 00:13:54 +0100
2 Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Hi,
5 >
6 > I'd like to propose amending Gentoo's CoC through adding the following
7 > point:
8 >
9 > - *Use concise and clear language.* The Gentoo community includes
10 > people from all over the world, with varying English skills and
11 > available time.
14 > Rationale:
15 >
16 > The primary purpose of communication on Gentoo media is to share
17 > information. In order for this goal to be achieved, it is important
18 > that the recipients of the message (presumably arbitrary Gentoo users
19 > following the mailing lists) can understand these messages.
20 >
21 > Furthermore, we should note that people don't have infinite time to
22 > spend on reading mails. Both sending unnecessarily long mails
23 > and using hard to understand language means that both users and
24 > developers have to spend ever increasing amount of time to participate
25 > or at least follow conversations. Eventually, it means that some
26 > people who can't afford to read all the text are excluded.
27 >
28 > In my opinion, it's also a matter of respecting others and their time.
29 > In the extreme case, some people are deliberately participating
30 > in the described way in order to waste other people's time, to exclude
31 > them if they can't manage to keep up, to push their ideas forward while
32 > drowning the opposition in the storm of long replies.
33
34 I can certainly appreciate the benefits of this as I just haven't had
35 the time to read most of the recent... uh... discussions. However, the
36 idea of enforcing something like this doesn't bear thinking about. It
37 reminds me way too much of 1984's Newspeak. If we're not going to
38 enforce it then there seems little point in including it. The most
39 verbose posters are unlikely to cut down just because we asked them
40 nicely.
43 James Le Cuirot (chewi)
44 Gentoo Linux Developer