From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@××××××.org>
To: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-project@l.g.o, Seemant Kulleen <seemantk@×××××.com>
Subject: [gentoo-project] Re: A plan for Gentoo
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2017 01:06:18
1 OK, subscribed to this list so I can reply :)
2
3 There are some things I agree with to some extent in William's post and
4 some I do not.
5
6 First, Seemant is a fantastic guy and Gentoo would benefit greatly from his
7 return. He was an incredible asset on the project.
8
9 I am happy to get more involved with Gentoo. I've actually been working
10 with several Gentoo devs on several development-related things and plan to
11 continue to do so informally.
12
13 I am NOT interested in merging the Funtoo and Gentoo projects, nor in
14 making Funtoo a beta version of Gentoo. Not good for Funtoo, nor Gentoo.
15 But again, I am happy to get more involved with Gentoo. Let
16 cross-pollination happen when it makes sense.
17
18 I do see some positive things happening with Gentoo -- one is the wiki,
19 which is really nice. So I don't necessarily agree with the doom and gloom
20 camp, although I know that there is quite a bit of chronic frustration with
21 the direction of the project or lack of it, and certainly I have shared
22 that opinion in the past.
23
24 I do think Gentoo could benefit from some positive energy and some
25 additional support for development. I would like to assist with this
26 effort.
27
28 I think we do need to reach out to Google, who seems to have a habit of
29 poaching our developers, and work out some kind of arrangement of
30 cooperation. The sum total of stuff I've received from Google has been a
31 prototype Chromebook, a $50 prepaid VISA card, and a google blanket. No, I
32 am not making this up. I know these items were sent to me with the
33 intention of saying thanks, and meant as the kindest of gestures -- but
34 certainly, there are better ways for us to support one another?
35
36 Google has received some nice technology from Gentoo. The google blanket is
37 nice and fluffy, but I would like to see Gentoo have a bit more ability to
38 positively engage with Google and other organizations -- this was the
39 vision of the original not-for-profit that I created -- building the future
40 with partners who value free software.
41
42 Best Regards,
43
44 Daniel