From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Rekindling Gentoo News -> Paying for news
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2017 17:27:35
1 On Monday, January 23, 2017 6:05:59 AM EST Kent Fredric wrote:
2 > On Sun, 22 Jan 2017 11:21:12 -0500
3 >
4 > "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com> wrote:
5 > > Ideas are good, but to many toss out ideas not willing to do the work. Or
6 > > understanding what it will take to make such ideas come to reality.
7 >
8 > Prematurely judging ideas when they're under developed based on a conjecture
9 > that the limited context you have so far indicates they "can't work" is
10 > also harmful, because it simply excludes the fact there may be some data
11 > you failed to consider that makes it work.
12
13 That could be said to the GLEP I asked for comments on :)
14
15 Just saying like with the Foundation, sponsoring, SPI, etc. People toss out
16 ideas that require considerable time to make happen. I am willing to put forth
17 the effort, but most are not.
18
19 Most will want to toss in their 2 cents to those doing the work. Which I am
20 not sure is right, because unless you are willing to donate your time. Your
21 opinion some what matters, but not the same. As your idea may require
22 considerable time that your expecting someone else do to do.
23
24 Thus if you come up with an idea you should be willing to do the work behind
25 such. Or maybe keep your opinion to yourself, if your not going to take part.
26
27 > Hence, it is often effective to intentionally extend through insane ideas
28 > as a thought exercise, in the assumption that you will discover a final
29 > piece of the puzzle along the way, and then only judge the ideas once
30 > you've gotten to a point you *must* start implementing something.
31
32 To a point. More time is lost due to indecision than wrong. You cannot make
33 everyone happy all the time. You can over discuss something trying to hammer
34 out all details so everyone is on board and get no where doing that. To the
35 point where it is never implemented.
36
37 The SPI/SFC has been discussed a few times. Why has that never happened? It
38 proves my point! You need to just do this stuff sometimes rather than
39 endlessly discuss. Very few who discuss it will put forth the effort.
40
41 > Culling the ideas before you even sit down and implement things leads to the
42 > worst decision making.
43
44 Yes, like others saying a GLEP will not work that has not be tried. Lots of
45 negative nancy's running around.
46
47 > It is the very definition of "Short sighted"
48
49 I think I saw reference to Gentoo in that definition :)
52 William L. Thomson Jr.