From: Richard Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: "gentoo-project@lists.gentoo.org >> gentoo-project" <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] [GLEP 39 overhaul] Do we want to make changes to the role of the council?
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2010 11:58:11
1 On 04/17/2010 07:50 PM, Denis Dupeyron wrote:
2 > Do we want to make changes to the role of the council?
5 Note - I mention Trustees a few times - this policy would of course not
6 govern the trustees. I mention them only to draw contrasts and better
7 define the role of the council, which this does define.
8
9 I'm not sure this is actually a change, but I think that many would
10 consider this a change, so perhaps it should be made explicit:
11
12 There is one Gentoo. The Council heads it up. There is one Gentoo
13 Foundation. The trustees head it up. Full stop.
14
15 All other positions of leadership/etc exist to facilitate day to day
16 work. All are subordinate to one of these two bodies. The council may
17 be voting enact or revoke policy on behalf of any project/etc, and may
18 make administrative decisions regarding project leads/etc.
19
20 Of course, the council is encouraged to not do so unless absolutely
21 necessary.
22
23 The council ultimately represents all Gentoo devs, and so in the event
24 of any kind of conflict they ultimately hold the final vote, except in
25 matters concerning the foundation. There the trustees hold a similar role.
26
27 Also - neither the trustees nor the council as a whole are required to
28 recuse themselves from any decision due to a perceived conflict of
29 interest, except where contrary to law. Individual members of these
30 bodies can of course do so at their own discretion. If, for example,
31 the council wants to settle a devrel matter directly, it can be judge,
32 jury, court of appeals, and executioner. Again, this should obviously
33 not be the norm.
34
35 I know that lots of people seem to think that somehow it isn't good for
36 the council to have too much power, but I think that ultimately somebody
37 needs to be in charge. I'd rather it be the council (elected by all)
38 than some project head or whatever. And I definitely don't like all the
39 time wasted when everybody second guesses whether anybody is actually
40 allowed to do something. The norm of course should be for the council
41 to be the court of appeals and not a day-to-day admin body.
42
43 Rich