From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] [RFC] GURU v2, now with reviewed layer
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2019 19:04:04
1 On Mon, 2019-02-04 at 14:00 -0500, Alec Warner wrote:
2 > On Mon, Feb 4, 2019 at 12:39 PM Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
3 >
4 > > Hello,
5 > >
6 > > After some initial discussion on the GURU user repository, I'd like to
7 > > start bike... I mean, brainstorming v2 of the idea. This time it's more
8 > > like Sunrise but with some automation in mind.
9 > >
10 > > Let's go with two layers like Sunrise -- one private working branch,
11 > > and another public that's exposed to users. Commits are merged from
12 > > private to public after some kind of review. I suppose to avoid
13 > > depgraph misshots etc. we'd want to move commits incrementally, i.e.
14 > > public is only doing fast-forward merges from dev.
17 > I'm looking for more information on the private branch. What is it a branch
18 > of?
19 >
20 > Like what I might expect is:
21 >
22 > repo - master # this is the public branch users use
23 > repo - <literally thousands of other branches> These are the in-progress or
24 > stale PRs.
25 >
26 > When review is complete, repo - somebranch is merged into repo - master.
27 >
28 > Is this what you are proposing?
31 No. As I said, I'm proposing a Sunrise-layout layout.
32
33 dev -- branch which contributors use to work on their ebuilds.
34
35 reviewed -- branch which users use.
36
37 When commits are reviewed, fast-forward merges are done from dev
38 to reviewed.
39
40 Attempting to automatically merge multiple independent branches will
41 inevitably result in unpredictable final state.
44 Best regards,
45 Michał Górny