From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] [RFC] GURU v2, now with reviewed layer
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2019 19:04:04
On Mon, 2019-02-04 at 14:00 -0500, Alec Warner wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 4, 2019 at 12:39 PM Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote: > > > Hello, > > > > After some initial discussion on the GURU user repository, I'd like to > > start bike... I mean, brainstorming v2 of the idea. This time it's more > > like Sunrise but with some automation in mind. > > > > Let's go with two layers like Sunrise -- one private working branch, > > and another public that's exposed to users. Commits are merged from > > private to public after some kind of review. I suppose to avoid > > depgraph misshots etc. we'd want to move commits incrementally, i.e. > > public is only doing fast-forward merges from dev. > > > > I'm looking for more information on the private branch. What is it a branch > of? > > Like what I might expect is: > > repo - master # this is the public branch users use > repo - <literally thousands of other branches> These are the in-progress or > stale PRs. > > When review is complete, repo - somebranch is merged into repo - master. > > Is this what you are proposing? >
No. As I said, I'm proposing a Sunrise-layout layout. dev -- branch which contributors use to work on their ebuilds. reviewed -- branch which users use. When commits are reviewed, fast-forward merges are done from dev to reviewed. Attempting to automatically merge multiple independent branches will inevitably result in unpredictable final state. -- Best regards, Michał Górny