From: kuzetsa <kuzetsa@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] [RFC] GLEP 76: Copyright Policy [v4]
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2018 05:01:06
1 On 09/26/2018 03:25 PM, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
2 > Here is another small update of the copyright GLEP, resulting from a
3 > recent discussion on IRC. This is not a change of policy, but merely
4 > a clarification of the real name requirement:
7 Traced the language to a commit from 2006, seems to have zero
8 open discussion for its legal reasoning, or any specific cited
9 model for how or why a person writing their name is valid (I
10 can't find any evidence of a legal analysis performed at the
11 time, or since) - specifically, language in the LKML commit:
12
13 http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel.commits.head/85223
14
15 ["The DCO does not mean anything if we allow anonymous
16 contributors to the kernel. As this is an open source
17 project, we need to do everything in the open."]
18
19 This meme (in the original sense of being like a gene, though
20 inherited and expressed and mutated by way of memory and idea.
21 the modern sense of the word "meme" doesn't resemble the original)
22
23 Could benefit from some open legal review. Ironic for multiple
24 organizations to express the same sentiment without considering
25 the legal intent of a signature: "I have reviewed this, and am
26 marking it as such" is far less valid when it is not witnessed
27 or authenticated. (as by a notary or officer of the court)
28
29 I'd like clarification of the origin of the requirement, but
30 this is as far as I'll go, publicly. I don't wish to be the
31 voice or face of this issue. I don't have the energy or legal
32 resources for it.
33
34 - signed by key