From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] [RFC] GURU v2, now with reviewed layer
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2019 19:00:50
1 On Mon, Feb 4, 2019 at 12:39 PM Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > Hello,
4 >
5 > After some initial discussion on the GURU user repository, I'd like to
6 > start bike... I mean, brainstorming v2 of the idea. This time it's more
7 > like Sunrise but with some automation in mind.
8 >
9 > Let's go with two layers like Sunrise -- one private working branch,
10 > and another public that's exposed to users. Commits are merged from
11 > private to public after some kind of review. I suppose to avoid
12 > depgraph misshots etc. we'd want to move commits incrementally, i.e.
13 > public is only doing fast-forward merges from dev.
16 I'm looking for more information on the private branch. What is it a branch
17 of?
18
19 Like what I might expect is:
20
21 repo - master # this is the public branch users use
22 repo - <literally thousands of other branches> These are the in-progress or
23 stale PRs.
24
25 When review is complete, repo - somebranch is merged into repo - master.
26
27 Is this what you are proposing?
28
29 -A
33 > Now, reviews are normally done on commit ranges; by default, from
34 > current state of public to current state of dev. When such a range is
35 > reviewed, every commit belonging to it gains reputation. When a range
36 > of commits gets reputation of 3, it is merged to public.
37 >
38 > Reviews can be done by devs or privileges users. Review by dev gives 3
39 > rep points, and by privileged user gives 1 rep point. Therefore,
40 > a commit is merged if it's either reviewed by dev or 3 privileged users.
43 > Users gain reviewing privilege also via reputation points. If a commit
44 > range including user's commit gets merged to master, user gets 1 rep
45 > point (independently of number of commits in the range). When user gets
46 > 5 rep points, he can start reviewing stuff.
47 >
48 > Finally, besides positive approval we have option of flagging. You can
49 > flag commits, e.g. for malicious code, vandalism, etc. If a commit is
50 > flagged, merging it is blocked until a dev resolves the flag.
51 > Furthermore, devs can issue bans to users responsible for the bad stuff.
52 >
53 > That's my idea, roughly. The main points are:
54 >
55 > - stuff is reviewed before publishing to users,
56 >
57 > - people are encouraged to review stuff, as previous unreviewed commits
58 > are going to block their own,
59 >
60 > - initially reviews are done by devs but as users gain reputation, they
61 > start being able to review ebuilds committed by others,
62 >
63 > - flagging gives extra protection against mistakes.
64 >
65 > Your updated thoughts?
66 >
67 > --