From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Gentoo Council 2016 / 2017 election
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2016 12:04:50
1 On Sun, Jun 19, 2016 at 1:44 AM, Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > So I guess maybe our protracted discussions and "slowness" is a good thing.
6 Do we REALLY have protracted discussions? I guess it is all relative,
7 but a typical Gentoo debate over some big change seems to last a week
8 if whoever is pushing the proposal is actually moving forward
9 actively. Either a consensus forms or it doesn't. If there is
10 consensus they actually can move forward without Council approval,
11 though some choose to wait for the next Council meeting anyway. If
12 there isn't consensus then we usually make a decision at the next
13 meeting, unless the proposal just isn't quite ready yet. Usually if
14 it isn't ready it is fairly obvious in the discussion. Hint: if you
15 are sitting on this really great idea, waiting until a week before the
16 Council meeting to broach the topic isn't ideal.
17
18 Now, when somebody just throws an idea out there and maybe asks the
19 Council if it is a good idea, but nobody is all that interested in
20 implementing it, then obviously it will sit around forever. We all
21 probably have lots of good ideas. There is no harm in bouncing them
22 off the lists; maybe somebody will be inspired and implement it, or
23 we'll come up with an even better idea. However, in the end we have
24 to recognize that a volunteer distro is the result of the stuff people
25 have bothered to actually implement.
26
27 Then there are the discussions that just keep coming up, but they're
28 usually just discussions. We can argue about whether A is better than
29 B, but typically these discussions don't actually have any practical
30 impact on how Gentoo is governed. 9/10 times we have some way to let
31 A and B co-exist in the distro if anybody cares to put the work in,
32 and whether one is better than the other certainly inspires passions
33 but doesn't really impact repo policy.
34
35 Now, if you want every idea to hit the ~arch tree two days after it is
36 proposed, you're going to struggle to find any distro that can
37 accommodate you. Reasonable QA depends on all the developers
38 following the same set of rules, and good luck with that if the rules
39 are changing faster than anybody can stay on top of, likely including
40 the QA team. As annoying as talking about changes are, we talk about
41 them because dealing with the aftermath of slowly working them out in
42 production is far worse.
43
44 Maybe I'm just out of touch (in which case somebody should cluebat me
45 with some examples), but I feel like protracted discussions are
46 something that we haven't really had in a while, at least not on
47 technical matters.
50 Rich