From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Social Contract clean-up
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2018 23:49:51
1 Hey Seemant! :)
2
3 OK, that was a snarky reply to something I was saying that I was being dead
4 serious about. Here's try number 2.
5
6 If the Council is to be taken seriously, and not continue to have its
7 legitimacy questioned, it needs to adhere to the same standards of behavior
8 that it enforces for the rest of the project. I actually care very little
9 about the details of the Foundation and even the Council, in principle, but
10 I do have a serious problem with the Council as it is manifesting itself
11 today as well as its insular nature. If no corrective action is taken, I
12 consider it a noble and fairly easy task to get rid of the Council and
13 replace it with a body that can actually be respected. One of the Council
14 members is arguably the worst serial verbal abuser in the history of the
15 project, and nothing has been done about this. It is hard to take an entity
16 seriously when they do not practice what they preach. It is pretty clear to
17 many that the Council has some serious problems and is only nominally
18 supported by developers. Yet I would prefer to not have an epic throw-down
19 with Gentoo leadership to get rid of the Council. With a few modest and
20 fair reforms, the Council can effectively be fixed.
21
22 My proposal, which will satisfy me and frankly also help to preserve the
23 legitimacy of the Council long-term are for the following reforms to happen:
24
25 If the Council wants to handle comrel and devrel, and even technical
26 decision-making, fine. However, they will be held accountable to the same
27 behavioral standards that they establish project-wide by the trustees. This
28 rule must exist to ensure that if the Council does not keep itself
29 accountable in the area of behavior to the same standards they define for
30 others, the Trustees can and will intervene. The ultimate goal is
31 self-accountability where the Council will hold themselves accountable and
32 thus the Trustees will not need to intervene. But if not, and there are
33 behavioral problems, then the trustees can and will remove misbehaving
34 members of the Council. I want this to be recognized as an absolutely
35 needed part of the "checks and balances" related to Gentoo leadership and
36 established in stone. It is badly needed.
37
38 Currently, the Council is elected only by developers, a relatively insular
39 group. While this is fine when it comes to very technical decisions that
40 are developer-centric in nature, it is unfortunate for Gentoo Users who are
41 disenfranchised from the decision-making process and who are represented by
42 the Foundation. This creates a schism between the ultimate goals of the
43 Council -- to represent developers -- and the goals of the Foundation -- to
44 represent the entire Gentoo community. There is an absolute need for
45 Gentoo Users to be represented in decision-making for the project and the
46 Foundation is the ideal organization to do this. Therefore, I propose that
47 the Foundation have a new position of User Representative and that these
48 officers have an official (voting) role in the Council decision-making
49 process. I have no problems with Gentoo Developers serving in this capacity
50 as long as they are clearly people who care deeply about the Gentoo user
51 base. This position would be an appointed position, with the trustees
52 appointing them and serving as their "boss". This effectively democratizes
53 the Council as there is an official channel for user representation without
54 just opening up developer discussion to be a free-for-all like it can
55 become on the gentoo-dev mailling list. The Foundation currently has funds
56 to pay User Representatives a modest salary or consulting fee.
57
58 The role of the User Representative are three-fold:
59
60 1) Help improve transparency between Council decision-making and the larger
61 Gentoo community, and act as a liaison between non-developer Foundation
62 members and the Council.
63 2) Encourage Gentoo users to become members of the Foundation through
64 outreach and other initiatives.
65 3) Help to keep Trustees and Council informed by contributing to
66 transparency between these two groups.
67
68 These Use Representatives will be our evangelists for Gentoo development to
69 users and also ensure that users have a voice. I think at least two user
70 representatives (ideally, 3) should be appointed by the Trustees, and each
71 should have a vote in all Council decisions.
72
73 I believe this addresses the two key missing pieces in our current
74 structure -- lack of accountability and the insular and developer-centric
75 nature of the Council which locks out users from the decision-making
76 process. It also defines the relationship between the Trustees and the
77 Council, and how this relationship works in regards to user representation.
78 This preserves the democratic ideal of the Foundation, which has currently
79 been lost as more and more responsibilities have migrated to the Council
80 over time.
81
82 Best,
83