From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for Agenda Items -- Council Meeting 2015-10-11
Date: Fri, 09 Oct 2015 19:29:39
1 On Fri, Oct 9, 2015 at 12:12 PM, Ian Delaney <idella4@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Fri, 9 Oct 2015 06:29:51 -0400
3 > "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> You become dependent in that discussions about a bug or patch are now
6 >> on github and if that goes away you loose it. Therefore we depend on
7 >> github to keep that history for us and that history is as important
8 >> as the fix itself. Saying that you don't have to use github doesn't
9 >> fix this unless that history is mirrored on our bugzilla.
10
11 The proposal is to mirror github pull requests on bugzilla. So, I'm
12 not really sure I understand your objection.
13
14 Today work is done in github and isn't mirrored to bugzilla.
15
16 The proposal is to start mirroring some of that work on bugzilla. How
17 does this make us more dependent on proprietary tools?
18
19 Nobody is proposing that anybody should have to look at github. They
20 can just pretend that it doesn't exist.
23 >> As for rage quitting an issue, are you sure that watering down the
24 >> Social Contract won't cause other kinds of quitting? This issue is
25 >> above such theatrics.
26
27 I'm not sure I follow your argument. My whole point was to quit the
28 theatrics. I'm not impressed by people threatening to ragequit. I'd
29 think that you'd probably agree on that front but perhaps we're
30 misunderstanding each other.
31
32 Are developers going to quit because other developers are using
33 github? Wouldn't that be a bit like quitting because somebody else is
34 using a proprietary text editor to edit their ebuilds? Or quitting on
35 openrc development because somebody else is maintaining systemd and we
36 didn't ban that from the tree?
37
38 The proposal is to open bugs on bugzilla when pull requests are
39 submitted on github. I'm not sure how that is worse than not opening
40 bug requests on bugzilla when pull requests are submitted on github.
41
42 > and so on and so forth. Sorry but my head is spinning. If the Council
43 > is to do anything on this issue it seems it needs to address the
44 > basics. Does github and its pull requests undermine or violate the
45 > Social contract or not?
46
47 Does it matter? The Council hasn't been asked whether developers can
48 use github. They're already using github, and we can no more prevent
49 them from using it than we can prevent them from using emacs to do
50 their work. There is no way to distinguish in our repo from a commit
51 that started its life on github from one that did not.
52
53 We don't force developers to use bugzilla today, so I'm not sure why
54 we'd start forcing them to use github (or not) tomorrow.
55
56 > Clearly it's a corner stone to the fabric of
57 > this dilemma. High profile devs on both sides are arguing yay and ney.
58 > Dammit this has split gentoo community like I haven't seen before.
59
60 This is probably one of less contentious issues I've seen just in my
61 tenure on the Council, which hasn't been all that long. I'm not
62 suggesting that it isn't controversial, but rather that it seems no
63 worse than many issues that have come up.
64
65 Are lots of devs planning on forking Gentoo because lots of other devs
66 are using github? Maybe I'm just not paying attention to the same
67 conversations.
70 Rich