From: Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Require OpenPGP signatures from existing devs on new developer applications?
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2017 06:35:21
1 On Thu, 5 Jan 2017 17:39:49 -0500
2 Yury German <blueknight@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > I think that we need Authentication of who the people are. Personal
5 > opinion but a scan or a picture of a legal document (Passport /
6 > Driving License / Birth Certificate) with the official numbers
7 > blanked out should be part of the recruitment process
8
9 I thought of that myself, but quickly realised that approach doesn't
10 really add much value.
11
12 Mostly because ID's as such are easily faked in a digital medium,
13 especially as there's no way for somebody on Gentoo staff to know what
14 to expect from say, a New Zealand Photo ID, and what aspects of those
15 ID's need to be present for the ID to be considered legitimate.
16
17 Especially as some of those elements that exist on physical ID to
18 prevent fraud don't translate into digital form, like:
19
20 - Transparent Sections
21 - Holographic Foils
22 - Embedded chips
23
24 It would be reasonably straight forward to create a hawaii ID McLovin
25 style for Bugs, and nobody would be able to verify its authenticity.
26
27 What I think is needed here is some broader platform outside the
28 context of simply Gentoo, who acts as local providers of digital
29 authenticity checks.
30
31 For example, if there was some organisation unaffiliated with Gentoo
32 who operated in New Zealand, and that organisation was themselves
33 reputable, I'd be much better off getting them to physically
34 authenticate my identity, by physically showing them my Photo ID,
35 letting them look for the identifying marks that indicate authenticity,
36 and then providing me with a digital proof of identity by signing my
37 key for me.
38
39 This way Gentoo are not reliant on trusting me not to be good at faking
40 my ID, but are instead relying on the reputation of the authenticating
41 agency.
42
43 This seems like a very obvious and easy utility to provide, I'm just
44 surprised I don't know of any such service.