From: James Le Cuirot <chewi@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2021-01-10 (late call, meeting this week!)
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2021 20:55:55
1 On Sun, 10 Jan 2021 23:57:23 -0500
2 desultory <desultory@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On 01/10/21 04:24, Michał Górny wrote:
5 > > On Sun, 2021-01-10 at 01:38 +0100, Thomas Deutschmann wrote:
6 > >> Hi,
7 > >>
8 > >> could you please provide a Wiki diff
9 > >> (https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Council/Code_of_conduct) for your
10 > >> motion so everyone knows exactly how the changed CoC will look like when
11 > >> we will vote on this?
12 > >
13 > > I don't see how this is better than the new point separately but sure.
14 > > I've put it before 'Admit the possibility ...' since that seems related
15 > > to the last point, and the last point sounds final-ish.
16 > >
17 > > diff --git a/coc.mediawiki b/coc.mediawiki
18 > > index bcff0af..3edbeec 100644
19 > > --- a/coc.mediawiki
20 > > +++ b/coc.mediawiki
21 > > @@ -20,6 +20,7 @@ Things that should be seen:
22 > > * '''Give accurate information in the spirit of being helpful.'''
23 > > * '''Respectfully disagree with or challenge other members.''' The operative word here is respectfully.
24 > > * '''Using the correct forum for your post.''' Bug reports and idle chatter do not belong on the gentoo-dev mailing list; discussion about a wide-ranging change to the tree probably does not belong on Bugzilla. Different fora will also have different standards of behaviour – a joke that is perfectly acceptable on IRC will be taken differently when made on a mailing list.
25 > > +* '''Use concise and clear language.''' The Gentoo community includes people from all over the world, with varying English skills and available time.
26 > > * '''Admit the possibility of fault and respect different point of views.''' Noone is perfect – you will get things wrong occasionally. Don't be afraid to admit this. Similarly, while something may seem perfectly obvious to you, others may see it differently.
27 > > * '''If you screw up, take responsibility for your actions.'''
31 > So, just to be clear, you are pushing a suggestion which received much
32 > more negative feedback than positive and which you avoid following
33 > whenever possible?
34
35 I forgot exactly how many threads this spawned but if you're referring
36 to the concern I raised, I felt it was largely to put rest. I didn't
37 like the idea of trying to strongly enforce concise language but now
38 that I see that is intended as a guideline, I'm not so worried.
41 James Le Cuirot (chewi)
42 Gentoo Linux Developer