From: Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Trying to become a Gentoo Developer again spanning 8 years...
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2016 22:08:53
1 On 10/03/2016 03:40 PM, William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
2 > I have tried getting Dr Andrew John Hughes, gnu_andrew to become a developer.
3 > He is interested and willing. However the ONLY thing he will work on is open
4 > source java, The JDK/JRE itself, IcedTea. He will NEVER work in any other area
5 > or on any other packages. He is employed by RedHat.
6 >
7 > I cannot see him ever doing the quizzes, or going through the normal
8 > recruitment. In my opinion he should not have to. Gentoo should treat him as
9 > special and help get him on board.
10
11 I disagree with this. If someone is getting push permissions on the
12 Gentoo repository, they need to have a strong understanding of ebuilds
13 and be able to prove it like the rest of us. Being technically competent
14 and a social "match" are important to the project.
15
16 I have no doubt that he and probably even you would be great additions
17 to Gentoo; especially in Java land. But it would be unfair to everyone
18 else if someone were to be _given_ developer status.
19
20 I used to believe the recruitment process was stupid, until I went
21 through it. The tests serve as self-made notes on ebuild development,
22 and are a good reminder that you "made it". I wouldn't have gained as
23 much knowledge about Gentoo had I not gone through the recruitment and
24 testing process. It was possibly a bit more arduous and time-consuming
25 than I'd like, but nobody at Gentoo to my knowledge gets paid for what
26 they do and it'd be unfair of me to chastize the people who help induct
27 more developers into Gentoo. Without them, I likely wouldn't have become
28 a developer.
31 Daniel Campbell - Gentoo Developer
32 OpenPGP Key: 0x1EA055D6 @ hkp://keys.gnupg.net
33 fpr: AE03 9064 AE00 053C 270C 1DE4 6F7A 9091 1EA0 55D6