From: "Paweł Hajdan
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Dropping unstable packages on minor archs
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2013 15:56:48
1 On 10/24/13 10:02 AM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > The situation causing issues is a different one.
3 >
4 > 1. Tree contains libfoo-1.
5 > 2. Maintainer introduces libfoo-2, dropping keywords due to
6 > significant changes.
7 > 3. Major archs keyword libfoo-2. Tree is generally updated to work
8 > with libfoo-2.
9 > 4. Maintainer wants to drop libfoo-1, but libfoo-2 is not keyworded
10 > on all the minor archs libfoo-1 is.
11 > 5. Maintainer logs KEYWORDREQ for libfoo-1, and it is ignored.
12 >
13 > This leaves us with several options:
14 > a. Don't let the maintainer remove libfoo-1.
15 > 1. Maintainer continues to care for libfoo-1 - extra work.
16
17 This can be especially hard if upstreams start removing support for
18 libfoo-1, or removing support for their package versions that depend on
19 or even require libfoo-1.
20
21 > 2. Maintainer is required to care for libfoo-1 but doesn't - complaints/etc.
22
23 Exactly - being "required" to maintain something doesn't make that
24 person actually maintain it.
25
26 > 3. Maintainer gets tired of dealing with QA and stops maintaining
27 > libfoo entirely. Now major arch users are at a loss, and the minor
28 > arch users are no better off.
29
30 The worst of both worlds. I hope that doesn't happen often but yeah,
31 people should realize this is a very plausible reaction to such pressures.
32
33 > b. Let the maintainer remove libfoo-1. Minor arch users have large
34 > numbers of packages break, have cascading keyword removal (no better,
35 > really).
36 >
37 > I'm open to suggestions for other options if anybody has them. I'm
38 > suggesting to allow the option of b. Maintainers can still choose to
39 > do 1a, and minor arch users are really no worse off than if they were
40 > to do 1b/c.
41
42 Totally agreed. Maybe last rite hard mask libfoo-1 before removal to
43 "give people time" to start maintaining it. It'll probably make it even
44 more clear that there is no one to do that.
45
46 Paweł