From: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Discontinuing the support for GitHub pull requests
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2017 22:32:04
1 On Tue, 31 Oct 2017 09:50:42 -0400
2 Gregory Woodbury <redwolfe@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > I understand the concerns that Gentoo wants to guarantee that the
5 > project provides high-quality software. However, quite a number of
6 > people I know have taken a look at the requirements documents and
7 > decided that the hoops are too messy and unnecessary for them to show
8 > that they are competent. Many of them are already familiar with the
9 > methods and tools, and it is insulting that they would
10 > have to go through an "apprenticeship" before they are allowed to even
11 > submit patches.
12
13 Think of it differently: Write access to gentoo.git means you're given
14 root access to all gentoo users boxes. That's where you're supposed to
15 go through all those requirements, there is zero requirement for
16 submitting patches.
17
18 > I wonder if there are any of the current developers that would go
19 > through the whole
20 > process if it was required to renew their membership in the project.
21
22 Well, I just had a quick look at the EOM quizz, and it does not differ
23 that much from what I took 10+ years ago. It only got a little
24 refreshment from common mistakes seen over the years and now contains
25 hints on where to find the answer.
26
27 Bests,
28