From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: k_f@g.o
Cc: gentoo-project@l.g.o, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>, Gentoo Council <council@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: [gentoo-dev-announce] Call for agenda items, council meeting 8/October/2017 18:00 UTC
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2017 11:05:14
1 >>>>> On Mon, 2 Oct 2017, Kristian Fiskerstrand wrote:
2
3 > On 10/02/2017 09:58 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
4 >> Does the PMS actually define what the correct behavior is for this
5 >> syntax?
6
7 > it evaluates to a true, i.e always valid/resolved. And although
8 > explicitly naming an empty group in an ebuild is, probably?, not
9 > useful, I don't see why we'd have a definition that errors out on
10 > explicit definition but not on an implicit reduction, as the package
11 > manager needs to be able to handle the situation anyways.
12
13 Why would it need to handle explicit empty groups? If all
14 use-conditionals inside a group evaluate to false, then it must be
15 able to compute it. That doesn't prevent us from having strict syntax
16 requirements.
17
18 IMHO it is unlikely that anyone would write an explicit || ( ) in an
19 ebuild. Then the only place where this can arise is a failed automatic
20 calculation of dependencies which presumably would be in an eclass.
21
22 A recent example is https://bugs.gentoo.org/620400 where the void ruby
23 dependency was discovered because Portage flagged the empty group.
24
25 > I'm all for banning the empty construct in QA scope though.
26
27 For my taste, we have too many of these already. If we decide that
28 explicit empty groups are useful (for what?), then we have no reason
29 to ban them by QA. If not, then why should the PM support them?
30 Furthermore, code that supports a banned construct will not see any
31 real life testing.
32
33 In addition, Portage doesn't support empty groups since 2011. That for
34 itself is not an argument to change PMS, but it shows that there is no
35 need for the construct.
36
37 Ulrich